cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LifePO4 video

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a good new video (19:19) on LFP that should dispute some claims/ myths that get repeated on the internet from non user of LFP. With the CEO of Battleborn who seems like a straight shooter and not trying to push their product but explain lfp chemistry some.

https://youtu.be/ywn-vBjKblI

@ 9:27 talks about 10-90% use range.
@ 12:45 talks about float.

Plus a lot more info that some of use longer time users have seen or been using with in reason and not seeing no issues.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.
16 REPLIES 16

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Those cells are larger, than what many builders are using
Some use 'prismatic pouch' cells, but many use the much smaller cells
And the Chevy Volt uses those big rectangular plastic encased cells
Whose name escapes me at this moment

PRISMATIC CELL...

MrWizard
Those cells are larger, than what many builders are using
Some use 'prismatic pouch' cells, but many use the much smaller cells
And the Chevy Volt uses those big rectangular plastic encased cells
Whose name escapes me at this moment
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yikes. Here's mine:

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

Man Oh Man ... look at all those little batteries and all those inter-connections that have to be made, and stay made, year after year ... or else.

(In addition, there is a fairly "complex" BMS system required to take care of all those little cells!)

When an RV'er is out and about on the far side of beyond, reliability of the RV systems becomes ultra important ...

I believe that most production electric cars use this type of battery configuration (approximately 1.3 v multi cell batteries with a BMS) so this technology has been in common use for several years now.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
red31 wrote:
here he opens one up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5E30u-66VI

Man Oh Man ... look at all those little batteries and all those inter-connections that have to be made, and stay made, year after year ... or else.

There is a whole corner of science concerned with the reliability of complex systems - one type of which is a system with only simple inter-connects but a lot of them.

When or when are Group XX sized vehicle lithium batteries going to consist of something like maybe 5 or 6 or 7 individual large cells - so system complexity can be greatly reduced? (In addition, there is a fairly "complex" BMS system required to take care of all those little cells!)

When an RV'er is out and about on the far side of beyond, reliability of the RV systems becomes ultra important - whether it be exploring in the Western U.S. outback or over-landing in Siberia.

I'll think I'll wait until lithium RV batteries become both cheaper and much simpler inside.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

red31
Explorer
Explorer

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
We all have different needs or wants and certainly some don't mind hauling around lead with the must do charging profile daily or weekly to get the "longevity" from the batteries.
Our particular wants was (1) major weight savings, (2) not being a slave to the battery, (3) live/operate from solar for the majority of the time and not have to run to a power pole or use the generator for long extended periods of time. LFP checked those boxes for our wants.

I thought the video does a well job with simplified answers for easy understanding.
Start of video to 6:30, low temps
@6:30 high temp/ degradation
@8:30 cycling
@9:30 longevity/ charge profile
@11:30 balancing
@12:50 floating
@15:40 storage
@17:40 cold cranking (which in reality doesn't really apply to lfp) terminology.

What they touched on carries over to all of LiFePo4 basically which for some of us that have been using this chemistry for many years in a daily operating system know because we can see it in operation, but some of the new comers don't really understand it because they read somewhere bad information being parroted.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
rk911 wrote:
LFP? Battleborn??

A company named Battleborn Batteries makes lithium iron phosphate, aka LiFePO, batteries.
Obviously didn't click the video.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I must be stuck in the '90s ๐Ÿ™‚

I still find that FLA is the most cost effective chemistry when you look at cost Vs capacity and longevity.

The various Li varieties are very interesting to the geek in me. I have seen some hobbyists coble together some slick BMS setups. I just don't have the time or interest in going down that road.

If you are severely limited on space or weight capacity then the higher energy density starts to become attractive.

I am fortunate there. My 24v - 430a/h FLA battery bank fits nicely and cost just a bit over $800 including shipping. I live in a pretty remote are so shipping can be a killer.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

MrWizard
So 'plating' in lithium on the charge cycle, is similar to sulfate in lead acid created in the discharge cycle
And has similar effects on battery capacity and degradation
Except it occurs during excessive charging conditions
Like cold temperatures, where sulfate always occurs during lead discharge and must be Fully Recharged to remove

Interesting video, thank you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
rk911 wrote:
LFP? Battleborn??

A company named Battleborn Batteries makes lithium iron phosphate, aka LiFePO, batteries.

tnks
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Thx, Some Great information for Li users!!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
rk911 wrote:
LFP? Battleborn??

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
LFP? Battleborn??
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle