Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

little holes in gelcoat

Full-time_Funmo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a 2011 Thor Funmover that I purchased from Camping World in November. I was out west this winter and in freezing weather a couple times. Later, when I was in warmer weather, I noticed a couple groups of little holes in the gel coat. They looked like someone used a little paper punch on them. Some holes had the outer layer still hanging on.

One group was under a light that has a little delamination under it, which also showed up for the first time in warmer weather. Water could have gotten in there and frozen, but that does not account for the holes in two other places on the rig.

Has anyone heard of this before? I live in a boatbuilding community and am thinking of getting a boat builder to repair the gel coat, but would like to know the initial cause to prevent it happening again.

Thank you
1 REPLY 1

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a a classic case of fiberglass blistering. As you've already suggested, a professional boatbuilder could very likely diagnose the cause, which could be one of several such as improper initial cure, osmosis due to moisture etc.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien