cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

¡Look at (and READ) the pink stuff jug!

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
On the advice of a friend that used to be a product engineer for a major OE chemical supplier, I have started reading the jugs of RV anti-freeze that I have.

The old ones were straight Propylene Glycol (safe to drink).

The newer ones have giant lettering that say SAFE, but do not say what they are safe for....
They are denatured alcohol, gycol (unspecified) color, water and something I don't remember. If I had this in my potable system, I would be very careful to flush the system very well in the spring.

You can probably still find PG based anti-freeze, but it won't be cheap.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.
32 REPLIES 32

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
new ones I've seen do NOT have denatured alchohol (methanol + enthanol). They have ethanol and propolyne glycol. Clearly stated on the label that it has ethanol. If it had methanol it would have to state so, and a clear warning lable of hazard for consumption.

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is what's in alcoholic drinks.

I still prefer to use the strait propolyne glycol stuff, which is available, but not as cheap.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The newer ones have giant lettering that say SAFE, but do not say what they are safe for....

I always interpreted SAFE to mean that the RV antifreeze was safe for the pipes, valves and tanks, not for a person to drink. Always flush in the spring and I use a little bleach to clean out any stuff in there that should not be in the spring. And then flush a few times.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
"They are denatured alcohol" ... ah ... I never thought of that? Fresh water tank ... great place to stash the moonshine! (And it will sanatize at the same time, if the pipes don't melt first!)