cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking at using the Fantastic Fan while in storage

Big_Kahunna
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,... I am considering coming in off the road after 1.5 years and putting the RV in storage in Florida.

With solar on the roof I am thinking about using the Fantastic Fan either on a timer or on a photo eye to help keep the temp down in the coach during the day and keep the air moving while in storage.

Anybody ever do this? Can the Fantastic Fan be run 12 hours a day?

Input and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Make it a Great Day!!!
BK
8 REPLIES 8

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stay 6 mo. up North and 6 Mo in NC. We have our 5er parked on our lot and live in it when we are home. The first year we went up North we came back in October to find much mold in the RV from moisture build up. While a fan might help with circulation, you still might have problems in those hidden spaces. Last year we got a dehumidifier and also put the smaller air conditioner on the highest setting. I think 95 degrees. The slides are closed. The water from the dehumidifier goes down the shower drain and out through the grey water tank. Last year we had zero mold. This year we hope for the same. If you have someone you trust, have them check the dehumidifier filter 1X/mo. and just brush it off. The A/C filter hardly had any dust in it, because no one was living there. I expect the dehumidifier to be the same. Good luck. Keep that mold out. Believe me you don't want it.

Big_Kahunna
Explorer
Explorer
markchengr wrote:
We left our camper in storage in North Fort Myers from Novenber until April. I left the pass through window and a roof vent open thinking that natural convection would keep it ventilated. Bad idea. When we went to pick it up, there was mildew everywhere. Ventilation is no good in such a warm humid environment. You need to dehumidify the air inside somehow. Back home in Seattle I keep it closed up and use a couple of Dri-Z-Air units inside to keep it dry. Change them out once a month.

That makes a lot of sense.

When we lived in Naples FL we had the coach in storage most of the time and we just locked it up. Never had any mold or mildew issues.

Rather have the high temp inside then the mold and mildew.

Thanks everyone for your help with this

markchengr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We left our camper in storage in North Fort Myers from Novenber until April. I left the pass through window and a roof vent open thinking that natural convection would keep it ventilated. Bad idea. When we went to pick it up, there was mildew everywhere. Ventilation is no good in such a warm humid environment. You need to dehumidify the air inside somehow. Back home in Seattle I keep it closed up and use a couple of Dri-Z-Air units inside to keep it dry. Change them out once a month.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get all weather covers. Set fan to push air into the RV. Crack a window that is farthest from the fan.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Big_Kahunna
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:
It won't really do any good unless you also have a window or two open for air to come in. That's more places for insects and critters to get in. It's impossible to cool it lower than the ambient temperature. If it's 90 outside the best you will do is get it down to 90 inside.

In Florida in the summer the temp inside the coach can exceed 110 degrees or more.

I have a Fantastic Fan in the living room area and an exhaust fan in the bath. Both have Max Air covers to protect from the weather.

Plan to leave the bath exhaust vent open without the fan running to provide air intake for the Fantastic Fan to draw out.

Has anyone ever use an exhaust fan in this way and will the fan last running 12 hours a day?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've left my Fantastic Fan run 24/7 for weeks at a time. No problems.
I like to use during the humid summer months to keep the air circulating.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure about an unattended fan running in my RV for a long period.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
It won't really do any good unless you also have a window or two open for air to come in. That's more places for insects and critters to get in. It's impossible to cool it lower than the ambient temperature. If it's 90 outside the best you will do is get it down to 90 inside.