Did you mean: 

Looking For A Self-Standing Single Burner Stove

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • RV stove buners like home stove burners are lackadaisical
  • Some coleman stoves have burners that sound like a blowtorch
  • They are fast and the right size
  • But I don't want to carry a Coleman stove around to heat two gallons of water for cooking lobster or crab
  • Something with legs, self-standing that connects to a 20 lb refillable pot and not to a twelve dollar a pound disposable cylinder
  • Does such a single burner critter exist?
  • Yes there are large burners that can melt 10 pounds of lead in 10-minutes flat
  • This thing has to stow in an RV and be friendly to use on the road
  • A burner that roars 🙂
10 REPLIES 10

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
The burners on Camp Chef stoves are 30K BTU. They also make a single burner model. I removed the regulator on mine and fitted it to run on the trailer quick-connect.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mex, you can convert ANY camping stove to accept 20lb cylinder. So find one that you like, and convert if you have to.

One thing I noticed in a couple of stoves linked above is the absence of ignitor of any kind. Which is not a big deal, and in those that do have a mechanical ignitor it never works well. The best ignitor is battery-operated, a small part for about $15, and dumb manufacturers of RV stoves never put it there.

I don't understand the craving for more BTU. Alright, maybe it does take long when the pot is filled with crabs, but are you really in a hurry?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
nvreloader wrote:
Hey Mexico Wander,
I used a couple of LPG water heater burners, added legs built a camp box to fit with a oven underneath to keep things warm etc, had to turn the heat down as things got HOT real quick.

Built that camp stove over 40+ yrs ago, I think it is in the garage some where??

Tia,
Don
I've had these, too. They do a great job. I had one with a double gas ring, must have been out of a commercial heater or the builder found two rings that fit together. It boiled corn in a stainless steel wash tub.

I guess I must be a hoarder of these stoves as I have four of them, now. I'll try to get some pictures up, tomorrow.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Fairly ubiquitous, if this is what you need. If you need more flame, this one has legs that bolt on.

MexicanWander,

The BTU Rating is 15,560 per hour for the single burner, and double that for the larger stove with two burners.

If you go into a large store, such as Lowes, and look at the higher end residential stoves, the typical burner capacity is 9,000 Btu's with some having a single 12,000 Btu burner. So this is a bit more capacity than that.

So this one qualifies! IT will boil 15 pounds of water and raise it's temperature 100F (using 1500 Btu's) in 1/10 of an hour. OR 6 minutes! So figure a 2 gallon pot of water in less than 10 minutes from 55F to 212.

Some of the much larger turkey burners have 50,000 to 75,000 Btu burners, and they will work faster, but the overall size is much larger.

THis one fits into a small box, and folds up. It is something like 45,000 Btu's and will heat the water 3 times faster, so like 3 minutes. THis

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

nvreloader
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mexico Wander,
I used a couple of LPG water heater burners, added legs built a camp box to fit with a oven underneath to keep things warm etc, had to turn the heat down as things got HOT real quick.

Built that camp stove over 40+ yrs ago, I think it is in the garage some where??

Tia,
Don
2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
Search for a turkey fryer.

Many of those have a platform for pots and pans. We use one camping with heavy duty pots and pans for cooking for a large group.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Fits most of what you want. I would spring for carrying case if not provided. Read reviews to see if fits your liking. Excellent for us except it does make some noise. Just a little bit more than stove burner. Carrying case has room for 2 bottles or we 90% of time run of "extend-a-stay". Hasn't been on market over couple years? We use fold up table when no picnic table (flat spot)is available. Folds up about size of lap top case and about as tall maybe 6-8 inches (guessing. We carry behind seat in pick up. Being it's portable you'll want to hold onto handle when you stir something (all lightweight stoves) so you don't spill the pan.
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2-Burner-Fold-InstaStart-Stove/dp/B000F7T2MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...

And I think Camping World had them for less money, couple months after we bought ours.

The only thing I don't really like is the 1 pound bottles, but would have that problem no matter which stove.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
15000 BTU is the output of a high quality residential gas stove with large burner upfitted. Most residential stoves are around 7000 BTU/burner. I'm guessing my RV stove is around 4000 BTU. The turkey cookers are lots of output, 50,000 BTU, enough to boil three gallons of oil and keep it hot when submerging a cool 20 lb. hunk of meat.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The one in that link sure looks good.
IF the flame is aggressive meaning more heat than a standard stove then this is the one for me!

The reason I whine, is that last night to cook crab down here in Mexico it took 25 minutes to heat a pot of water. They have "Saturn V burners" available but obviously overkill to the point of melting handles on smaller pots.

But I'd hate to order this critter, have it make a 1,500 mile journey into Mexico and then find out it's only slightly more powerful than an RV stove burner.

Bottom line - I'm ignorant when it comes to knowing the difference in BTU output of this fabulous looking single burner and the one in my rig. I know the one in a multi-burner Coleman is three times as fast as the one in my rig or the "Mabe" stove burner. Maybe someone can toss a hint as to perspective.

Got my fingers crossed 🙂

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Fairly ubiquitous, if this is what you need. If you need more flame, this one has legs that bolt on.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC