cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Loss of Speed Control

MattR
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any troubleshooting resources for the speed control (cruise control) on a 1991 Ford Econoline E350 (Tioga Arrow)? I've looked at the workshop manual (https://manuals.co/workshop/ford/econoline/ford-econoline-1969-1991-workshop-manual-haynes/5525412/) but didn't see anything relevant. The speed control stopped working abruptly while driving and has not returned. The horn still works fine. The fuse is good. The sensor on the brake is functioning normally. What should I check next?

Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MattR wrote:
It turns out the brake light bulbs were not burned out but they were making poor contact. I rotated them until they made better contact and now my cruise control is working. Thank you everyone so much for all of your suggestions!

THat will do it .. yes. Glad I suggested checking the brake lights.

Folks so you knwo here is how it works

The Cruse control has wires connected to BOTH SIDES of the brake light switch It looks for 12 volts across these two wires.

IF 12 volts is present then
1: The brake light fuse is good
2: The brake light lamps are good
3: The brake light switch is OPEN (Pedal in the UP or released position)

When you "Touch" the brakes this switch closes and the 12 volts goes away. So the cruse control say "AH. he wants to slow down) and releases the throttle.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the post back. Learned something but will probably forget before I get a chance to apply it. :W

MattR
Explorer
Explorer
It turns out the brake light bulbs were not burned out but they were making poor contact. I rotated them until they made better contact and now my cruise control is working. Thank you everyone so much for all of your suggestions!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Check the "clock spring" under the steering wheel.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Look up this site for good cruise control information, wiring diagrams and parts lists. thorssell.net

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check your brake lights to see if they are stuck ON.. Beyond that it depends on how the speed control works, since there are two or 3 different systems and I only know one of 'em.. I will say no more till I know more.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
By "the sensor on the brake", do you mean the pressure switch on the brake master cylinder? If not, check that, assuming you have it. There was a huge recall on many of them, involving the installation of an inline fuse to prevent fires should they corrode and fail (as they were on an always-hot circuit), so check that inline fuse too if you have it...and enquire about the recall if you don't. I'm not sure if '91 is included in the recall or not; I do know my '98 was and has the modified wiring harness.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I had that happen on a newer F250. it shot ***** while going down a slight long grade, as i recall the speedo also went out. i don't know about your year but this one had a sensor that plugged into the rear diffy that gave the input for the cruise and speedo. Changed it and all was sell.

MattR
Explorer
Explorer
alfredmay wrote:
Older Ford vehicles used manifold vacuum to operate cruise control. I used to tow with a Ford van and my buddy had a Ford class C. We both would lose cruise going up long grades. Look for a vacuum leak. I believe the vehicles also used a vacuum storage canister....... check that too.

Those sound like excellent ideas... if I had any idea how to do it ๐Ÿ™‚

The sudden and complete loss of the system makes me think that it isn't a vacuum leak from my understanding of how these things work (unless it was huge leak like a tube coming loose from a fitting). Nevertheless, I did look over any tube I thought could be part of the system as well as any canister I thought could be holding a vacuum... nothing obviously leaky. The speed control system stopped working while almost coasting downhill at 55mph or so, although there had been long grades prior to that.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
Older Ford vehicles used manifold vacuum to operate cruise control. I used to tow with a Ford van and my buddy had a Ford class C. We both would lose cruise going up long grades. Look for a vacuum leak. I believe the vehicles also used a vacuum storage canister....... check that too.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy