cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low frequeny hum post...

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Not trying to steal the thread but I’m posting here only because I’m utterly unable to get past the RV net verification robot...I find this glitch quite often and without any resolution...

Wnjj posted this:

“Just play this sound and see if it's about the same frequency:”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Sf7rSOU78

In a previous house of ours, almost out of no where this nearly same identical sound affect would occur. My wife never noticed the sound until I brought it to her attention. The house set back from the street about 150’ and before too long a time I noticed that this sound pattern repeated like clockwork starting about every third morning at around 06:30hrs and lasting for about 1.5 hrs then it would suddenly stop...

Since there was a pattern, it seemed to me that it must be of a mechanical nature, but because the noise was faint, try as I might it took some time to sleuth down the offending culprit which turned out to be the 150’ away water meter down by the street...Without our knowledge, a few weeks earlier the city had replaced our 30+ year old water meter with a new wiz-bang smart meter that created this noise every time the drip system would kick on per watering schedule!...

So I complained to the city and eventually they admitted to me that the sound was real and was due to a cheap version of the new meter, and that a better unit could be made available in particular cases like mine... Nagging problem was then successfully resolved...

3 tons
5 REPLIES 5

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thought that was my wife snoring.... Hummmmmmm.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the service drop? If it is close to the noise call the power company.

Google a site that has audio 60 Hz hum and listen

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
..... Every time someone on our side of the street flushed their toilet, the water in the bowl of our toilet would raise and lower. .....

My guess is the sewer pipe vent to the roof of "this" house was not full size or was otherwise restricted.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Op here, yes I live in the suburbs connected to all the usual utilities
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Does the original OP live in town. If he lives in town, connected to a city water system and a city sewage system, then yes, it is most likely sounds and vibrations are coming from the utilities systems.

We lived in a small town many years ago. The house we lived in had city water and sewage. Every time someone on our side of the street flushed their toilet, the water in the bowl of our toilet would raise and lower. It was weird seeing that, but we finally accepted that.

The building I work at is a huge building. It's almost 1/3 of a mile long and had 5 floors with several wings. When someone flushes the bathroom toilet, pretty much any floor on the wing you are in, you can hear the water rushing through the toilet and in the drains in the floor.

So, if connected to city services at your home, the sound absolutely does vibrate through water and sewage lines.

If the OP lives in the country, on a well, has a septic tank with their own finger system, has an all electric house, then the "hum" is definitely coming from a strange source.

For the OP of this thread, I agree, Captca is getting worse again. I bumped into it several times again yesterday.