cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low Voltage Disconnect

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone put a low voltage disconnect on their battery?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEA5NPW/ref=dra_a_cs_mr_hn_it_P1400_1000

I'd like to find one that's rated for a much lower amperage and use a relay like this to actually feed the rv:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050I94XG/

It seems like I should be able to get away with less than a 5A (probably 1A) rated disconnect if using a Continuous Duty solenoid. And, thus, a lot less than $60.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a low-amperage disconnect product?

Thanks.
Lee
12 REPLIES 12

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
My inverter for the old CRT TV has a low voltage shutoff and somewhere, I haven't looked for it, is another that isolates the batteries. I have only had the inverter shut down once and the main has never shut down. It is nice to know you have that protection.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I think anyone that has to worry about low voltage, lacks much needed experience w/ the 12v side of life. I'd suggest getting on line and educate yourself,....it ain't like the information isn't out there.
I can't even remember the last time I had a low voltage problem, but I promise you it was back in the 3 amp max charge Magnatek days when at least we had a sorry excuse for low voltage. Nowdays, we don't have even a sorry excuse.

Sorry, off topic.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This won't do a thing for consumption. Sort of like a fire system for a house...

"When the fire gets going good and hot, the pump comes on and soaks everything..."

Taking a battery down to 11.25 is not good for it, period. An AGM is more tolerant of abuse such as that. My suggestion is to not discharge the battery that far. More ampere hours. Knife edge battery management seldom works.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Mandalay Parr wrote:
TMBLSN wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Mine is an electro-mechanical solenoid that snaps over and disconnects itself from the battery until you push the button the other way.

Think it is called a Fat Boy.

I have a manual disconnect switch. I'm looking for an automatic relay that will shut off the battery if it gets too low (preferably adjustable, probably at ~10.5V).

Mine is controlled by a board that does just that..
Intelletic I believe is the brand.

Be honest that 10 volts is way too low. 12.2 volts is 50% discharged. That is the best time to recharge.

I am not aware of any RV OEM product that will disconnect the 12 volt batteries when the voltage gets low. Once the voltage drops below 11 volts, you have lost any chance of recovery. then the batteries go completely dead. You seem to indicate from your post that you have a system that when the batteries reach a pre-determined voltage the battery disconnect shuts down. Not so, and Intellitec does not make such a system. Once the batteries reach 10.5 or 11.5, what is the point of shutting the battery system OFF?????? Doug

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I meant the furnace shuts down from low voltage around 8 to 10 volts. And I would not want power cut off.

I also make sure I have enough battery charge to get through the night.
Once in the pop up the heater quit from no propane then quit again from low battery. Never again. Prefer to keep it on even at the detriment to the batteries.

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I would sooner run mine to low voltage shut down than have the heat quit in the middle of the night.
Maybe add some battery to get you through.

Voltminder has an alarm that would indicate time to start the generator.

That's what I'm trying to accomplish, run it to 'low voltage shut down', as you stated.

I don't want to get to the 'permanent battery storage deminished' level of running the heater fan at 10V.
Lee

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would sooner run mine to low voltage shut down than have the heat quit in the middle of the night.
Maybe add some battery to get you through.

Voltminder has an alarm that would indicate time to start the generator.

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The spec sheet for your intended purchase specifies a disconnect adjustable to 12.0 vdc. However at that setting or any other, the device only reconnects when voltage has recovered to 1.0 volt or greater higher than the trip voltage. Are you sure this is what you want?

The one I linked to is adjustable from 10.5-12.

If I set the disconnect at 11.25, it would re-engage at 12.25. This would be perfect. I'm looking for something that will save my batteries from over-discharge.

The converter/charger would be connected on the battery side of the solenoid and the loads (breaker panel) would be disconnected when the voltage is too low. The solenoid would re-engage (automatically) as soon as the converter/charger is powered up by either generator or shore power.
Lee

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The spec sheet for your intended purchase specifies a disconnect adjustable to 12.0 vdc. However at that setting or any other, the device only reconnects when voltage has recovered to 1.0 volt or greater higher than the trip voltage. Are you sure this is what you want?

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
TMBLSN wrote:
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Mine is an electro-mechanical solenoid that snaps over and disconnects itself from the battery until you push the button the other way.

I have a manual disconnect switch. I'm looking for an automatic relay that will shut off the battery if it gets too low (preferably adjustable, probably at ~10.5V).

Mine is controlled by a board that does just that..
Intelletic I believe is the brand.

Be honest that 10 volts is way too low. 12.2 volts is 50% discharged. That is the best time to recharge.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:

I have a manual disconnect switch. I'm looking for an automatic relay that will shut off the battery if it gets too low (preferably adjustable, probably at ~11.5V).
Lee

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer

It's called a latching solenoid.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios