cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Low water flow-pressure ok

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
Have low water flow when hooked up to city water, especially hot water. Accidentally found out that when the toilet is flushed or any other faucet opened, even for just a second, flow is great. I can't figure out what it could be. Maybe an air lock? Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had this problem and how they fixed it.
11 REPLIES 11

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
1duckie4u wrote:
Thank you for all your responses. Mystery solved - bad regulator. Until I replace it, only leave "y" valve attached to hose going to trailer open half way.

For the record that solution will only restrict flow and will not control or reduce pressure. So if connected to a high pressure source it will just leak less after it blows a connection apart..
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all your responses. Mystery solved - bad regulator. Until I replace it, only leave "y" valve attached to hose going to trailer open half way.

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
The back flow valve at the inlet to the coach is spring loaded. What happens when you flush is it removes some of the pressure in the line allowing the back flow valve to open further then as long as you leave the water on you will have good flow. Turn off the water and the valve closes completely and you are back where you started.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

1duckie4u
Explorer
Explorer
When I open the bathroom faucet or shower, the flow is very low, especially the hot water. While running the faucet or shower, I can flush the toilet for just a second and the flow changes to normal. Works the same vise versa. Same story with kitchen faucet and washing machine. If I have any one of them on, I can open another and it will increase the flow significantly. I do use a water regulator and it's brand new.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the faucet aerator.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
1duckie4u wrote:
Have low water flow when hooked up to city water, especially hot water. Accidentally found out that when the toilet is flushed or any other faucet opened, even for just a second, flow is great. I can't figure out what it could be. Maybe an air lock? Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had this problem and how they fixed it.

I am confused. You say you have low water flow until you open a faucet or flush the toilet. Just WHAT has the low flow to start with?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Moved from Forum Technical Support

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
removed the back flow valve? I trust you installed another one asap.

Nope, just used a pipe plug when not hooked to city water.

2014 Ford Explorer toad

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
removed the back flow valve? I trust you installed another one asap.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar problem with my last coach a 2004 National Tropi Cal. What I discovered was that at the water inlet there was a back flow valve in the line to keep water from flowing out the inlet when not hooked up to city water and using the pump. I just removed the back flow valve and used a plug in the line when not on city water. Another thing to look at is are you using one of those cheap water pressure regulators? They are actually more of a water restricter than a pressure regulator.

2014 Ford Explorer toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DO you use a water pressure regulator?
It could be static until higher demand then it opens up

OR

The check valve inside city water connection is cocked restricting flow until higher demand moves it farther open
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31