cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lubricating the Push-Pull Black Water Valve?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Storm 28MS has the standard push pull valve to empty the waste in the tank. At times it is difficult to pull and push that handle on the valve. Anyway to lubricate that valve? I saw a video once that said I could drill a small hole above the opening and attach a flat pan head screw in order to spray the inside of the valve with WD-40 or some other lubricant then attach the screw back. Another article said to pour some liquid in the kitchen sink. Of course both of these ideas are done after the tank has been drained. any suggestions?
24 REPLIES 24

1970nds
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:

I have used the method in the Clicky for many years and I am here to tell you this really works!

I did this exact thing over the weekend with great results. I can slide both valves easily after about 10 minutes.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Back in the good old days a Zerk fitting was installed and grease was added every now and then. I been doing it for 20 years and never had a stuck valve. Only takes a bit of time and $.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
I installed self tapping grease fitting to the top of the black and grey valve years ago, what I found the grey valve never gets had to pull it is always the black valve. I usually pump grease into the fitting every other year or so and it lubes the seals and makes it easier to pull.

A tech did this for me on one of my valves and it made a world of difference.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I installed self tapping grease fitting to the top of the black and grey valve years ago, what I found the grey valve never gets had to pull it is always the black valve. I usually pump grease into the fitting every other year or so and it lubes the seals and makes it easier to pull.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
Harvard wrote:
I use dish washing liquid in the tanks, seems to help with the sticking problem.

GEO Method...

Lyle

Worthless...
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:
I use dish washing liquid in the tanks, seems to help with the sticking problem.

Bingo! I use laundry soap in the black tank. Keeps every thing slippery.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Harvard wrote:

GEO Method...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Oh and BTW there ain't nothing like a little of that brown stuff running down into your arm pit. :R

Made me pee a little. Lol.
Tom & Carol

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I installed grease zerks in my drain valves, when I purchased my Bounder 15 years ago. No sticking. Before you suggest grease deteriorates the rubber seals, the seals are NOT rubber.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dave H M wrote:

Oh and BTW there ain't nothing like a little of that brown stuff running down into your arm pit. :R

Too much information Dave!!

Jerry

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe i missed it.

If the dump valve is exposed, I would just go to amazon and get as replacement valtera. Done/Over

Mine was enclosed but i cut a flap in the cover and got her done.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
The below assumes your black tank is completely empty, and that the black tank valve is fairly close to the drain connection.

I have successfully lubricated a sticky grey tank valve by spraying the valve with silicone. You can buy some small diameter rubber tubing at an auto parts store. Stick a plastic tube spray nozzle - as comes with a can of silicone spray - into the tube. Snake the tube - maybe attached to a flexible wire - up the drain line and into the line coming from the black tank. Try to get the tube close to the valve. Spray the silicone liberally, while working the valve handle. It worked for me.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that clear silicone grease (small "tub" found in the plumbing section of any box store) works very well.

It can be used on the metal rod, which helps a little. Disassembling and applying it to both side seals is VERY effective.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/