cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnesium versus aluminum anode rods

VE3ESN
Explorer
Explorer
I couldn't get a replacement magnesium anode rod for our 6 gallon Suburban water heater, and put in an aluminum one. However, we notice that there's a terrible sulfur smell that comes back several weeks after the tank has been thoroughly cleaned with vinegar. When we used magnesium, we didn't experience the sulfur smell, and am wondering if others have had that experience. I'm a bit confused, because some folks say that there's the sulfur smell when using a magnesium rod. When we look at the aluminum rod, its diameter has hardly changed, but there's always white crud on it. I recall that the magnesium rod deteriorated a lot faster, but isn't that a good thing?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)
7 REPLIES 7

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Aluminum can also produce an aluminum oxide deposit in bottom of water heater tank. A Gel like substance which can be clear, milky, hard, soft, gooey."

Yep, that's what ours had.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Aluminum is an alternative vs magnesium which can react with bacteria in water source and create that sulfur smell. Aluminum can also but it not very common problem

Aluminum does NOT deteriorate as quickly as magnesium which is why magnesium is supplied as OEM rod.
Aluminum can build up with deposits, can swell and become difficult to remove thru drain hole
Aluminum can also produce an aluminum oxide deposit in bottom of water heater tank. A Gel like substance which can be clear, milky, hard, soft, gooey.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I went from a magnesium rod after itโ€™s life was over to an aluminum/zinc rod. Didnโ€™t have the odor (due to the zinc I think) but after 3 years the rod had barely corroded. That didnโ€™t seem to be offering much if any protection so I went back to magnesium. Quickly available on Amazon.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
amazon.ca has a bunch of magnesium anode rods available from different sellers.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, the rod needs to deteriorate to protect the tank. For this reason the magnesium is installed standard from manufacturer, and best choice, in most cases.

Jerry

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We switched from aluminum to magnesium due to the deposits in the bottom of the tank when using the aluminum rods. Don't have any with the magnesium.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
There are aluminum zinc anodes made to help control odor. You can buy any length anode and saw it off to the correct length.