cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magnum MS2812 Fault Code Messages

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
First Boon Docking of this trip. Woke up to a Red Light Fault on the Magnum remote panel.

Message read:

Low Battery
DC 12.3V - 0A

I shrewdly deduced my Magnum stopped inverting for some reason, and went into Fault mode.

Drill into the Fault Code History to see
H1 D- 0 05:24A
H1 Inverting
H1 8.5V - 44A
H1 BTS: 59F
H1 Tfmer: 100F
H1 FETs: 82F

Checking BMK Meter I saw 85% SOC, & 12.3 to 12.4V

Going to my MidNite Classic 150 Controller I saw 83% 12.4V

I double checked that the Magnum LBCO was set to 10.2V

======

Help me understand the Error Codes.

H1 D- 0 05:24A What is D-? What is the 0? Assume this took place at 05:24AM(?).
H1 Invertering Assume error took place on the Inverting side(?).
H1 8.5V - 44A Did the Magnum detect a 8.5V level of charge? 44A (Amp I assume?).
H1 BTS 59F Battery Temp Sensor read 59F.
H1 Tfrmer: 100F Trans Former 100F temp reading
H1 FETs: 82F FET board temp reading 82F

======

More info:

-We started the evening at about 7:00PM with both Magnum and MidNite indicating 100% SOC.

-We leave our Inverter on 7/24, even when parked and in storage on 20A outlet. (We keep the Samsung RF18 on 7/24 too.).

-I had a similar occurrence, 6-7 months ago while again Boon Docking, with similar readings mostly slight different temperatures.

-Had our X's 4 Lifelines L16's load tested, as a set (They did not disconnect and test each battery independently.). And the test came back solid.

-We had been off Shore Power Inverting all day, with the MidNite via 1200W of Solar maintaining back and forth between Float and Resting up until we started using the oven, we did run the generator for that 30 mins of oven usage.

====

Do I have a board going bad on the Magnum?

Could I have a bad cell in one of the four batteries? But with an indicated 12.3 -12.4V reading under load between the Magnum and MidNite - how would the Magnum detect a bad cell? Is that what the 8.5V - 44A is trying to communicate to me? That for a brief time it detected a full battery bank reading of 8.5V?

Tonight we'll start up again at 100% SOC, and see if it repeats in going into Fault code.

Weekend of course, but will also network with Magnum for input on Monday.

Appreciate any suggestions, best to all,
Smitty
16 REPLIES 16

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
I checked the Magnum status a few times during the night. Consistently lower power usage 10-12A vs with the Ice Maker ON, at times I was 14-17A readings before then. (Of which some was the idle and parasitic usage of the cumulation of items. So not all Samsung.)

SOC was at dropped down at lower amounts too. Still at 90% at 1:45AM. Voltage went from 12.81V to 12.5V at 1:45AM to 12.3V at 3:30AM.

Got up at 5:45AM. AH draw was 16.8 - 17.4. SOC at 85%. Voltage was 11.3V. And as I watched, it dropped to by .1 to .2V over a 4 min period to 10.3V! I checked, and BMK indicated the same 17.0 - 17.4AH draw.

So by luck, I timed it when the Magnum/BMK was recording the seemingly cascade dropping of Voltage. SOC being calculated by AH OUT vs 800AH house bank setting, remained at 85% SOC.

Went out and measured at the batteries. Multi Meter reading of 10.29 - 10.31V, over a 30 second period. Measured individual batteries, and it returned the answer I hoped not to see. 6.15V / 5.91V / 4.5V / 4.14V. So it looks as a bank, two of the batteries were carrying the 12 volt duties for the other two. The battery Load Test I mentioned performed earlier, was for the full bank, and again suspect it tested good due the two batteries carrying the load for the other two weak batteries.

I'm going to loosen all of the cable connections to confirm clean contact. But suspect they're all going to be OK.

We move to 50A Shore on Monday, and I'll get them up to full charge via the BMK Meter, repeat the readings on all four individual batteries, then run them thru Conditioning. Then I'll turn off Shore Power and go thru another night of monitoring, and see how things test out. If the two weak batteries are still problematic. I'll bypass them for the balance of the trip and run on 400AH bank vs 800AH bank. And budget our boon docking usage accordingly. Figure shutting off the Inverter for several hours over night, will not cause any damage to the food in the Samsung, which would then be a shiny stainless steel 'ice chest':)!

I've read on other forum threads, how resilient (And sure, also at times puzzling and frustrating.) the Magnum MSxxxx series seem to be.

I still am confused on why LBCO did not cut out at 10.2V? As I saw the 8.5V registered on the Fault Error Log.

I'm also surprised the two Lifeline L16's seem to be in distress at age 5 years. They've had maybe three times in they life, when they were drawn down below 50% SOC - that I know of. I say that I know of, as I've had to leave it in shops for modifications for up to two weeks at a time. Yes, they're asked and supposed to keep it on shore power at that time - but who knows if they did this consistently.

Sorry for the long thread, on what appears to be two out of four, with a third not too bar behind, batteries going bad:)! I'll wait to see if confining terminal contacts are solid, as well as Conditioning, to see what needs to be done next...

Best to all, and thanks again for the input and suggestions,
Smitty

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
I just read the Samsung manual. No mention of Defrost Timer or Mode that I noted.

That being said, the Samsung has been in the coach for about three years, and have never had the Magnum Inverter shut down overnight. So other then I had not noticed that the Ice Maker Off had been cancelled, nothing else has changed.

See what happens tonight:)!

Thanks again,
Smitty

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Samsung have a defrost timer / mode that can be turned off, or might turn itself back on automatically?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:
I'm going by my manual for the 3012 but I would think it's similar except for the hybrid features.

I think because it dropped below the LBCO for more than one minute.

But doesn't explain why it dropped so low if your batteries are actually good.

Again, thanks! And yeah. I keep telling myself that 8.5V is a reading that I just could not see ~90 mins later a 12.3 - 12.4V reading - without any charging going into the battery bank. Really makes me think it may be a 'calculated' voltage value?

Going to see what happens tonight, with the Samsung Ice Maker OFF again.

Either way, I'll call Magnum on Monday to ask their interpretation of the error codes.

Best,
Smitty

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going by my manual for the 3012 but I would think it's similar except for the hybrid features.

I think because it dropped below the LBCO for more than one minute.

But doesn't explain why it dropped so low if your batteries are actually good.
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
44A DC is ~400 watts AC, that's not a whole lot.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
I did check the Samsung, and found the Ice Maker had been turned back on, even though we have the ice equipment removed. (Takes too much space, we just use two ice cube trays.). So it has been on probably from some accidental hit during cleaning. But unless it some how confused the Samsung, I still could not see it drawing 44A? Thinking that it's supposed to doing ice cube freezing. (As I recall, the Samsung's highest energy usage is in Power Freeze mode, and the second highest is during the cycle of rest water running into the ice maker's tray for freezing.).

Have not yet checked for loose connections, but doubt I'll find any...

Still scratching my head on why once it got above the 11.0 voltage, that it did not kick back in:)!

Smitty

Smitty

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Itenerant1 - As below. And of course, would not be the first time I've set things up with conflicting values:)!

02a search watts = OFF
02b LBCO = 10.2V (Will some set down to 9.2V when brewing coffee in the AM. Then back to 10.2V)
02c ac in - time = 6:00A to 6:00P
02d ac in - vdc = 11.0 to 14.1 VDC
02e ac in - SoC = 50% to 100%
02f power up = Always ON

Smitty

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Out of curiosity what are your settings for the inverting/ inverter setup.
02a search watts
02b LBCO
02c ac in - time
02d ac in - vdc
02e ac in - SoC
02f power up
12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
"Yes Dear, I'm ready go go - but let me do one more info sharing on our problem."

I mentioned the last time this happened, was about 6-8 months ago. (And other then a few hours off and on while traveling, we've been on Shore Power since then.) The night before we were boon docking and I had the first Lower Battery Shut Down, we were at Santa Fe Skies. In the AM before we left the park, we did have an unexpected lightening storm. (I usually unplug from Shore Power Lightening is forecasted, did not that last night.)

Our power went off, and the Inverter did not stay on, about 5:00AM. Before I could do anything, power came back on, and the Inverter/Charger came back alive. I did not check error codes at that time, but recalled I was surprised the Inverter did not take over during the power outage.

We left, and moved to a overnight BLM campground in Utah, and that next AM is when I had this first occurrence of a problem.

I just looked, and I see a similar H1 all the way to H9, error occurrence, going back a bit. 8.5 -9.1V and 37-44A recordings.

(While in storage at home next door, we did have a few power outages during this time, suspect these Faults occurred at that time.)

So what? Well, it does not appear to be a 'two time' occurrence. And, I thought the lightening outage at the park may have some bearings on possibly a quick shot to the Magnum slipping past the TRC Surge Guard.
(Then again, it may have nothing to do with this....)

If those are accurate readings of Voltage and Amp Draw - I do have something going on that I'm missing.

Off to the hike:)!
Smitty

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
- Batteries bought January 2013
- Load test after first occurrence indicated solid health
- Samsung RF18, on E Saver mode
- No electric heating pads for bay/tank areas
- Normal 'idling' draws. (Computer, phones, DirecTV, WifiRanger, Dyson charge, Microwave clock, etc.
(We sized the battery bank to not need to economize too much. Usually go overnight, few hours of TV/DVR, coffee pot electric brew in the AM, and then check SOC 30 mins later and are in 75% SOC range - usually a bit above 75%.)
- I'll recheck all of the connections, again. But I just checked them after having a Chassis battery replaced about two months ago. (And, the last time this happened, it was 6-8 months ago, prior to the Chassis swap out.) All grounds were cleaned, and protected, at time of

Appreciated the snap shot on the Error readings.

No way can I think of any 'legitimate' load of 44A at that time.

But even if it had been a big hit of 44A. Drew the battery to 8.5V and LBCO did it's thing. I'm puzzled why the Inverter did not kick back on when the BMK Meter indicated readings were 12.3-12.4V when I saw the Fault at about 7:10AM?

" The inverter will automatically restart and resume operation when the battery voltage rises to ?11.0 VDC (12-volt models), ...".

Generator start, and power coming in, did restart the Inverter/Charger again.

Keep it coming on the input. Especially if any of you have had experiences with intermittent board failures.

Wife has me going off for a hike now, and I'll check the connections again when I get back.

Best to you all, and thanks again:)!
Smitty

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
44a shouldn't be enough to drag 4x batteries down from 12v to 8.5v

I might suspect a loose connection?

Do you have other heavy DC loads like 12v tank or bay heaters?

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible at 0524 (time of fault) that there was multiple items operating one time...inverter, fridge, something else that spiked at one time? It is showing 44a at that moment. What was running?

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
From the manual