cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxxis M8008 still good?

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
I am prepping for our big 3000 mile round trip this summer and want to get rid of the stock tires on our 2021 KZ Connect. I have used Maxxis M8008 tires in the past and they USED to be THE tire that was considered the best. I’m just wondering if they are still the best or a really good tire at the very least.
2005 Ford Excursion 4x4 6.0L PSD
2021 KZ Connect SE 312BHKSE

Me (DH), DW, 3 boys, 3 girls
14 REPLIES 14

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
and use a TPMS system. IMHO way to many TT blowouts are due to a SLOW leak causing overheating and the BAM. and you don't feel the tire going down like you do on the TV.

The TPMS twice let me know of a slow leak, nail, long before it caused a flat. Leak was slow, but fast enough that I wouldn't have caught it checking tires at rest stops along the way,
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Is curious the Maxxis specs don’t list speed rating. But otherwise good tires afaik.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had Maxxis on 2 previous trailers with only one blow out due to road hazard. My current trailer has GY Endurance so time will tell. I do like the fact that I can cruise at 70 with the GY.
Note, be sure your new tires are balanced!
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have also great service from Maxxis and Goodyear TT tires for many years.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
HaulinBass02 wrote:

Yes that is my camper. They put 225/75/15 D on it from the factory. I’ve bee RVing for 20+ years and know they go with the bare minimum. They have been ok-ish for the few short trips but I’m not looking at having a failure in the middle of vacation if I can help it.
I am bumping up to the same size tire in an E rating. Not wanting to spend the money for 16” wheels and tires as I don’t think it is necessary for me.
I forgot about Carlisle but my last experience was prior to their re-design when my dad was going through tires left and right on his 5er. I will look into those as well.

Yes, a good move to upsize to LR E. Glad they at least gave you the D's.

A heads up in case you did not know, ask for high-pressure valve stems. They normally do not cost any more, but they may not give them to you if you do not ask. They are rubber snap in's with an exposed brass valve stem. The only way to gain the E load range benefit is to run them at a higher pressure (80 psi). If you are going to add a TPM, then get metal valve stems.

It was 2012 when I did my upgrade. Endurance was not made then, and the new design Carlises did not have much track record. It was going to be Maxxis LR. E on the 15" tire or jump to LT's in 16" E's. Since we planned to keep the camper a long time, I moved to LT's. There are posts on my tire failures and the upgrade here on RV net; if anyone wants to see them, let me know, I'll dig them up.

Have a good trip and a big "great for you" to upgrade before the trip! Dealing with a tire failure on the road is not a fun day camping. Especially with changing a tire failure on the side of an interstate. My wife was having kittens waiting for me, thinking I would get sucked in by a semi-whizzing by at 70 mph. Even 8 feet to the right past the white line does not seem to be enough.

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
JBarca wrote:
HaulinBass02 wrote:
I am prepping for our big 3000 mile round trip this summer and want to get rid of the stock tires on our 2021 KZ Connect. I have used Maxxis M8008 tires in the past and they USED to be THE tire that was considered the best. I’m just wondering if they are still the best or a really good tire at the very least.

Hi Haulin,

I looked up your camper, this one correct? https://www.kz-rv.com/2021-products/connect-se-travel-trailers/2021-C312BHKSE.html

What I was looking for was the GVWR and the tire size. It lists a 9,460 GVWR and 15" tires, but does not state a load range. I'm going on the assumption you "might" have ST225/75R15 load range D? I'm hoping they did not set you up on ST205/75R15 Load range D which is a smaller tire in diameter and weight capacity. If you are on the ST205's we really need to talk about this.

Getting the right tire weight rating is as important for long-lasting as the tire brand. Those of us with 10,000# GVWR campers fall into this issue as interply shear wants to play havoc on tandem or triple axle trailers tearing the tire apart in turns. The only way to help gain more safety factor to ward off the interplay shear, is to get more reserve tire capacity above the heaviest loaded wheel. I was recommended to get at least 20% more reserve capacity above the heaviest loaded wheel as the target to help ward off the interplay shear effect.

I had 3 of my ST tires fail from this issue and was on the ST225/75R15 LR D's. I did not have the 20% extra, but I had all the weight slips and was under the tire weight rating. In this case, to get out of the problem, you up a load range to E's if you are staying with 15" ST trailer tires, or you change wheels to 16" and go to LT225/75R16 LR E. In my case, I spent the money to go with the 16" LTs and deal with the wheel well clearance issues on the 10K loaded camper in my sig.

Now on the brands, there are only three brands I would recommend from my experience.

The Endurance only makes ST's in the E load range on the ST225/75R15s; they do not offer the D's, hmmm maybe GY knows something about this!

The Maxxis, I have had good luck with them, other than the heavy weather checking in the treads and sidewalls at the 5-year mark. By then, the tire needs to be changed anyway. They do offer D and E, again getting the right size with enough reserve capacity.

The Carlisle Radial Trail HD, these, and only this tire from them for a travel trailer that tows long distance, heavy. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/radial-trail-hd/

Carlisle used to have a big issue with ST trailer tires, but when they redesigned them to this Radial Trail HD, they corrected their issues just like GY did with the Endruance over the Marathons. I used these on my flatbed trailers and project campers. Again, get the right weight rating with the needed reserve capacity.

Hope this helps

John

Yes that is my camper. They put 225/75/15 D on it from the factory. I’ve bee RVing for 20+ years and know they go with the bare minimum. They have been ok-ish for the few short trips but I’m not looking at having a failure in the middle of vacation if I can help it.
I am bumping up to the same size tire in an E rating. Not wanting to spend the money for 16” wheels and tires as I don’t think it is necessary for me.
I forgot about Carlisle but my last experience was prior to their re-design when my dad was going through tires left and right on his 5er. I will look into those as well.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I've had both. Next time I'll be going back to Maxxis only because Endurance doesn't have enough tread depth to last long enough for me.

Based on my experience it looks like the endurance is going to give me tread life at least as good as I was getting on my Maxxis.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
HaulinBass02 wrote:

Hi Haulin,

I looked up your camper, this one correct? https://www.kz-rv.com/2021-products/connect-se-travel-trailers/2021-C312BHKSE.html

What I was looking for was the GVWR and the tire size. It lists a 9,460 GVWR and 15" tires, but does not state a load range. I'm going on the assumption you "might" have ST225/75R15 load range D? I'm hoping they did not set you up on ST205/75R15 Load range D which is a smaller tire in diameter and weight capacity. If you are on the ST205's we really need to talk about this.

Getting the right tire weight rating is as important for long-lasting as the tire brand. Those of us with 10,000# GVWR campers fall into this issue as interply shear wants to play havoc on tandem or triple axle trailers tearing the tire apart in turns. The only way to help gain more safety factor to ward off the interplay shear, is to get more reserve tire capacity above the heaviest loaded wheel. I was recommended to get at least 20% more reserve capacity above the heaviest loaded wheel as the target to help ward off the interplay shear effect.

I had 3 of my ST tires fail from this issue and was on the ST225/75R15 LR D's. I did not have the 20% extra, but I had all the weight slips and was under the tire weight rating. In this case, to get out of the problem, you up a load range to E's if you are staying with 15" ST trailer tires, or you change wheels to 16" and go to LT225/75R16 LR E. In my case, I spent the money to go with the 16" LTs and deal with the wheel well clearance issues on the 10K loaded camper in my sig.

Now on the brands, there are only three brands I would recommend from my experience.

The Endurance only makes ST's in the E load range on the ST225/75R15s; they do not offer the D's, hmmm maybe GY knows something about this!

The Maxxis, I have had good luck with them, other than the heavy weather checking in the treads and sidewalls at the 5-year mark. By then, the tire needs to be changed anyway. They do offer D and E, again getting the right size with enough reserve capacity.

The Carlisle Radial Trail HD, these, and only this tire from them for a travel trailer that tows long distance, heavy. https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/radial-trail-hd/

Carlisle used to have a big issue with ST trailer tires, but when they redesigned them to this Radial Trail HD, they corrected their issues just like GY did with the Endruance over the Marathons. I used these on my flatbed trailers and project campers. Again, get the right weight rating with the needed reserve capacity.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had both. Next time I'll be going back to Maxxis only because Endurance doesn't have enough tread depth to last long enough for me.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
HaulinBass02 wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
I switched from Maxxis to goodyear endurance. cost was basically the same, endurance is a real >65mph speed rated trailer tire (85mph IIRC) without any load reduction based on speed. AFAIK Maxxis is still an excellent , but in my mind no longer the top of the heap,

I was looking on Maxxis’ website before I posted this and wanted to see if their “plus” designation was for speed rating. Saw nothing referring to speed ratings or de-rating weight for speed. I may need to send them an email and ask…

At one time Maxxis had a derating for speeds IIRC to 75 mph. It required you to increase pressure by 10psi ABOVE the recomended for the actual load. So basically it reduced the Max load for speeds above 65mph up to what they listed for speed which I don't recall. So... as long as your actual load was enough below max load to allow for the inflation you were good to go. But the stamped speed rating was still just ST 65mph

By contrast Goodyear endurance has IIRC an "M" speed rating (87 mph) on the tire and by regulation for speed reatings for tires, it is rated for that speed at full rated load with appropriate pressure, so no derating

Over they years I've run 5 sets of Maxxis with no failures and Now am running 2 sets of endurance with good performance so far. One set has about 20K miles on it, the other only a few K miles on it.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Had several brands last about 3 years, very sad. M8008 lasted about 4 before a tread was separating off. Better but not great. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Same trailer and size... GY Endurance is going on 5th year and I believe this is a superior tire. Made in USA of premium construction technology and materials. (disclosure-brother worked for GY 40 years)

Still saved the best MAXXIS as the spare so I am not totally down on them.

HaulinBass02
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
I switched from Maxxis to goodyear endurance. cost was basically the same, endurance is a real >65mph speed rated trailer tire (85mph IIRC) without any load reduction based on speed. AFAIK Maxxis is still an excellent , but in my mind no longer the top of the heap,

I was looking on Maxxis’ website before I posted this and wanted to see if their “plus” designation was for speed rating. Saw nothing referring to speed ratings or de-rating weight for speed. I may need to send them an email and ask…

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Had both Maxis and Goodyear Endurance and both are good. Your preference.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer