cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mixing two oil wieghts

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
My Toyota minivan calls for 0w-20 motor oil. I have one gallon 0f 05-20 synthetic oil and one qt of 0w-20 synthetic oil. I believe the crankcase holds about 6 qts. Since I won't be travelling in extremely cold temps, I think I'd be OK with mixing the 2 types. I'm not sure if the mistake is mine or the vendor's. I don't have time to exchange the 05w-20 oil for 0-20. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)
23 REPLIES 23

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy the correct oil.... There's a reason the factory chose 0w-20. :S
Yea, the reason is to squeeze 0.1 more MPG out of the car.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the correct oil.... There's a reason the factory chose 0w-20.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You said the crankcase holds 6 quarts and you had a gallon plus one quart, so you're a quart short. You also had time to consult with your mechanic regarding the oil. Since you'll need another quart anyway, why not just buy the correct oil?

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
What 3T said.

Otherwise, I'd rather go with 5w30 anyway.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Due to only a small deviation I think youโ€™ll be just fine...On the other hand, on newer engines its best to stick with the manufacturerโ€™s specs due to the requirements of VVT hydraulic cam phasers...In this case the oil also acts as a hydraulic fluid.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. My mechanic also feels it will be OK to mix the two since my vehicle's specs call for 0w-15 if 0w-20 isn't available. So, looks like I'll be OK but I'll be sure I get the right oil next time.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Either way will not matter. Mix will not matter. 10-30 would run fine too but your mileage might drop slightly. And yes I have run them all and mixed them all. Although don't go crazy with 20w50 or straight 40 weight.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would not mix brands of oil, but if the same brand, both synthetic, I would use it.

Jerry

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google: mix oil weights
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman