cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modern Rebuilt Trans for Towing

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Ford F-350 with a 7.3 liter auto and I am considering swapping out the stock trans for a rebuilt BD transmission with beefier parts and a new type of torque converter.

Has anyone else updated their trans in their TV?
6 REPLIES 6

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Are you swapping it out just to upgrade or are you swapping it out because the original is toast.

I had 2 7.3's great trucks but transmission was the weak link.
I replaced trannies in both of them.
10-12 years ago I may have considered upgrading the tranny. But now I would not swap trannies just to upgrade.
If I were going to upgrade I would swap the entire truck for something newer.
If the current trans. is working leave well enough alone.
If the current trans fails consider an upgrade BD but give lots of consideration to a newer truck.
As great as the 7.3 was, it is getting to be a lot of old technology by today's standards.

Son did the ungraded trans on a 7.3 still towing strong. Like Lantley said they are old tech the 6.0 pulled a lot stronger than the 7.3. The 6.7 is stronger yet and the reports on the "new" 6.7 are it's better yet with the 10sp auto.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Are you swapping it out just to upgrade or are you swapping it out because the original is toast.

I had 2 7.3's great trucks but transmission was the weak link.
I replaced trannies in both of them.
10-12 years ago I may have considered upgrading the tranny. But now I would not swap trannies just to upgrade.
If I were going to upgrade I would swap the entire truck for something newer.
If the current trans. is working leave well enough alone.
If the current trans fails consider an upgrade BD but give lots of consideration to a newer truck.
As great as the 7.3 was, it is getting to be a lot of old technology by today's standards.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide on a replacement, Fordโ€™s HD4R100 is a good one which comes with warranty. In 2001 or 2002 I went to Lead Hill, Arkansas in my F-250 Powerstroke and had Brianโ€™s Truck Shop (BTS) rebuild my 4R100. Leaving there towing a 7;000# TT the sharp, crisp shifts were immediately noticeable. To this day, it is just as responsive.

Yes, definitely upgrade ypur transmission cooling and add a transmission temperature gauge.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of 4R100 transmissions last 12-140 k miles. Some are going 200k miles. I am at 175k miles. I am trying to update my truck so I don't go out and spend 40,000 dollars for a newer one.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I am of the school, "if it is not broke don't fix it !"

The best thing you can do is use a transmission cooler and change the fluid every 50K miles. I recommend using what the factory used.

Replace the factory cooler with the unit from the 6.0's Torqueshift. Cool as a cucumber.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I am of the school, "if it is not broke don't fix it !"

The best thing you can do is use a transmission cooler and change the fluid every 50K miles. I recommend using what the factory used.