cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More efficient propane furnace

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a fair-sized fifth wheel and am often surprised at both the propane usage and 12v power the furnace consumes. It is 18 years old but works good and is clean (no dirt dauber nests and so on). Has anyone come out with a more efficient furnace that big over the years? I can live with this one but it sure would be nice to have a more efficient unit.
51 REPLIES 51

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
msmith1.wa wrote:
Here is one

Not always from heaters either.

There is NOTHING in your article that cites an example of someone being killed by CO from a catalytic heater in an RV.

Millions of people own and use RVs. You'd think that if CO deaths from catalytic heaters in RVs were a problem, there would be a least a few news stories about it.

Where are those news stories?

There is this thing called Google use for yourself and don't expect other's to do it for you.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Skibane wrote:
msmith1.wa wrote:
Here is one

There is NOTHING in your article that cites an example of someone being killed by CO from a catalytic heater in an RV.

Millions of people own and use RVs. You'd think that if CO deaths from catalytic heaters in RVs were a problem, there would be a least a few news stories about it.

Donโ€™t fool yourself it happens more often than you think.
If your CO2 detector fails you may never know it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
msmith1.wa wrote:
Skibane wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
And you are willing to apply for a Darwin Award on the basis of a 25 cent sensor? No Thanks! When is the last time the sensor was tested?

Let me guess: You're one of those people who wears 3 face masks while driving alone...

Typically, the CO sensor self-tests itself - and the detector also has a manual test button. Most models have a running time counter that disables the detector and sounds an alarm after enough hours have accumulated to degrade sensor accuracy.

If it's really that much of concern to you, install two CO detectors - or three, just to be extra, extra-sure. They're dirt-cheap, and readily available.

You'd think that if there was a significant danger associated with catalytic heaters, there would be at least one published news story about some hapless RVer being killed by one.

They've been sold for many decades. Camco sells a boatload of them.

Where are all the stories about death and carnage?

Here is one

Oops, try again. Someone got CO poisoning by running their generator effectively indoorsโ€ฆ.
Thatโ€™s just extreme stupidity and the outcome would have been to be expected.
Go triple up your mask, Karen.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1.wa wrote:
Here is one

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
And you are willing to apply for a Darwin Award on the basis of a 25 cent sensor? No Thanks! When is the last time the sensor was tested?

Let me guess: You're one of those people who wears 3 face masks while driving alone...

Typically, the CO sensor self-tests itself - and the detector also has a manual test button. Most models have a running time counter that disables the detector and sounds an alarm after enough hours have accumulated to degrade sensor accuracy.

If it's really that much of concern to you, install two CO detectors - or three, just to be extra, extra-sure. They're dirt-cheap, and readily available.

You'd think that if there was a significant danger associated with catalytic heaters, there would be at least one published news story about some hapless RVer being killed by one.

Here is one

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
howardwheeler wrote:
I don't fulltime but I like to camp offgrid whenever I can. My furnace seems to be properly sized. When its cold out (20 degrees) it will run maybe 60% 0f the time. The coldest I've been is around zero and that ran 85 to 90% of the time. Looks like I need to live with it.

Well, that's a lot colder than I've ever been in while in the RV.. (maybe in the low 40's to upper 30's at the coldest).

I had the Propane furnace going for that and it would cycle about every 15-20 minutes after running for some 10-15 minutes.. Just a guess as I would eventually fall asleep, but it seemed every time I was "awake", it was running!

I only had the temp set to around 65* too... But, it was warm enough thru the night..

Even the Heat Pump I have at home does not work very well below 35* and I just switch it to aux heat (electric) at that point so it just does not run all day..

Keeping warm costs money no matter where you are at! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't fulltime but I like to camp offgrid whenever I can. My furnace seems to be properly sized. When its cold out (20 degrees) it will run maybe 60% 0f the time. The coldest I've been is around zero and that ran 85 to 90% of the time. Looks like I need to live with it.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I would only add that if your present furnace tends to cycle on and off all too frequently, then from my own experience it suggest you too need a smaller unitโ€ฆ

3 tons

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe I missed it, but are you doing "full time" RVing? If so, then investing in a better heating source might be best??

I have a 2019 Rockwood TT and it has the same type of propane heater that my family had in our 1977 Taurus TT... The only difference was we had to light a pilot light and keep it going on the old Taurus. The new rigs are all that auto spark deal. Same the the water heater... Same basic unit, but still just blows a huge flame into a chamber and it heats what it heats... ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm only a fair weather camper, so basically between May and Sept... It does get a bit chilly at night at times, and if the little portable electric heater can't keep up, I'll turn on the RV furnace and that does really keep the rig warm... It's just loud and probably does use a lot of propane.. So does the water heater, but my new TT has a 120v heater as long as i'm plugged in, so I use that for hot water...

Anyway, I'm sure there are a lot of more efficient heating options out there, and to fit into an older rig is just making it fit and work I would think..

Good luck in the end and stay warm! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since you live down south you might just consider a smaller more efficient furnace - trust that I have no regrets about downsizing, even when in the snowโ€ฆCheck for operating ampsโ€ฆ

3 tons

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Skibane wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,
The platinum cat vented catalytic heater is yards more efficient.

I'm not even sure they're selling those any more.

There is a website, but it doesn't have any info on where to actually buy one.

ETA: Apparently, someone is still selling them on a built-to-order basis.

Camco and Mr. Heater make unvented catalytic heaters that are readily available - and they are even more efficient than their vented counterparts. They don't require any electricity, so there is no drain on your house batteries while dry-camped.

I use the Camco 3000 BTU model in my little 17-footer, and like it immensely.

I will not use an unvented combustion heater. My daughter is a CO survivor.

READ THIS CAREFULLY

howardwheeler
Explorer
Explorer
Well it does seem the two stage Atwood units are no more. I canโ€™t find them anywhere. Everyone says no longer available or sold out.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
howardwheeler wrote:
What is the two speed model number? And yes, my concern is when I boondock.

Hydroflame model 2H2C, 15/22 btu

3 tons

Oops, I just notuced that Atwood was sold to Dometic (uggโ€ฆ) and they no longer make the 2 speed furnace - my guess, probably because it met customerโ€™s needs in a good wayโ€ฆEither way, my camper came with a 30k btu Suburban (waaaay oversized) and it turned out that the Atwood when in low mode (15k btu) does a far better job with much less noise while saving a bunch of energy and reducing nagging interior drafts.

3 tons