cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MS TS-60 MPPT Solar Controller Data

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
I did a simple data grab earlier this afternoon and though I would post some of the results.

SURE would appreciate others posting their controllers results

The rigs setup - Four panels in a series parallel arrangement 2 each K135 and 2 each K140 panels - House batteries 2 Costco 6VDC CG 220amp rated - 3oo watt Suresine inverter - Trimetric 2025RV

Ambient temperature 93F - Fast moving clouds - House battery SOC 99% (Trimetric Reading)

19:20:37 to 19:21:38 a very smalll load on the house battery bank maybe 4 amps, 19:21:38 to 19:22:39 added a 100watt 110Vac bulb on the inverter, Added engine starting battery as a load and switched it off about 19:24:00, Clouds cam through 19:24:41, added back the 100watt 110Vac bulb

32 REPLIES 32

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Almot

Been reading your related thread and saw Marc's response - sure is nice to see him responding and clairifing many of the issues.

I did several different tests one running 10 to 15 minutes while the controller switched between operational modes (the unit allows looging of the operational modes as well as many other things not graphed earlier).

How about taking some measurements from your nice new controller and posting them?

During the above graphed tests my battery bank was 99% SOC which makes what your asking is a bit difficult to answer. With a 560watt PV array and a "small" 220amp/hr battery bank. I personally do not have any issues with getting it fully charged even when drawing 20 or 30amps for external loads. Most times in the late afternoon I notice 13.2 to 13.6 battery volts being displayed by the trimetic.

Look at the bettery voltage graph it stays a constant 14.5Vdc (or there about). I guess it was in either MPPT or ABS modes during the above graphed tests. Remember the displayed "Battery Current" is actually load current not the current the battery is receiving - for the above tests I did not log the Trimetric data which shows only the battery I/O current.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Salvo wrote:
We're in boost for just a short time. It doesn't matter if controller is a couple of minutes longer in that mode.

YOU may be, but others don't necessarily use their system the same way you do. Using solar as a power source and not just a battery charger, the controller stays in MPPT a majority of the day.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
KJINTF - in a related thread I've been wondering about relationship between loads and transition to Abs stage and beyond. I could not understand what stage you were on, in these graphs, but then realized that the entire session covers just 4 minutes. So if this is bulk and voltage is rising before transition to Abs, or if this is Abs and current is tapering - the interval is too short to notice that.

When loads are running all the time, you may never reach Abs, though. Or if you do, the battery won't have a chance to charge all the way to Float. Instead, it will revert to bulk again and again, until the sun goes down and everything stops.

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
If we're using the charge controller to produce ac and selling power back to the electric company, then controller efficiency is a big deal. In our case it's no big deal. We're in boost for just a short time. It doesn't matter if controller is a couple of minutes longer in that mode.

I got other projects going on. Testing my MH suspension. Taking accelerometer measurements, downloading data into excel, calculating FFT's, and calculating suspension damping factor.

Sal

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Sal

Sure would be nice to see your measurements ...
Took me maybe an hour out of my busy day
Since I believe you too are retired I am hopefull you might be able to find a spare hour between the mountain bike rides and post some numbers for all of us to look at and compare to what I posted

Yes above 100% might be possible if the controller stores some energy for a short duratin - Kind of what the large inductor is there for

Until others post some data we do not have anything to compare to do we????

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Salvo,

Apparently KJ's controller shows the same sort of measurement errors.

Salvo wrote:

How are you getting your measurements? Do you rely on the charge controller for current and voltage measurements? That is not very accurate. Someone posted Rogue controller data and it shows more power going out than coming in. In other words, the controller is more than 100% efficient! There are significant measurements errors in this controller. Sal
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Getting efficiency numbers from my Blue Sky charge controller is low on my priority list. It's not a big issue with me. The controller is in MPPT mode (bulk) for perhaps 35% of the day. It doesn't matter if controller efficiency is at 95% or 97%, it hardly makes any difference in the bulk charging time period.

How are you getting your measurements? Do you rely on the charge controller for current and voltage measurements? That is not very accurate. Someone posted Rogue controller data and it shows more power going out than coming in. In other words, the controller is more than 100% efficient! There are significant measurements errors in this controller.

To get reliable data, you need external current shunts and voltmeters.

Sal

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Sal

I understand PWM controllers - guess I should have been a bit more specific with the request
Looking for MPPT controller data from other manufacturers such as Blue Sky, Rouge, Outbback, etc............
Don't you have a Blue Sky MPPT controller?
How about the test equipment?

westend

Thanks looking forward to seeing what your numbers look like
Yes MSVIEW as in many PC applications are a bit cluncky until you get more familiar with them or just put up with how it functions ... kind of like Microsoft Excel to me

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Double post (see what I mean about me and software?)
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

westend
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
O&S

Not asking you to spend more $$ - glad to hear your system works for you

Just asking for some real world efficiency numbers from other controllers
I have to assume like you most folks simply do not care what the efficiency numbers are if the battery gets charged all is good.

Was hoping/expecting there were other techs here at RV.NET that would take a few minutes to collect some data. I expect at least a few others have the needed equipment to take the measurements, collect the data and put it into a simple .csv file then produce a simple graph.
Then again maybe not
First, thanks for posting your data! I will try to budget some time for collecting and graphing with MS View and get some numbers up in this thread.
BTW, I find the MS software not intuitive and somewhat "clunky". That may be more me than the software.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
When in boost mode, the pwm controller is virtually 100% efficient. When out of boost mode, efficiency is not an issue.

Sal

KJINTF wrote:
O

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in data. I would like to see my cheapo controllers proved with proper testing. No way I'm I trying to say high volume panel arrays could use these China cheapo's on my shelf and would be of any value. However, I see large arrays that show single controllers on each panel.

Would I like to use the MS TS-60 MPPT if I had the need for one of the 60a class, yes. Where the controller is located on my 24v scooter the larger controllers are not a fit. It's mounted where I can read the meter, just under the 24v/100w panel. So, the small less costly China controllers are doing a great job. As per my batts. In the sun I've extended the run time for the scooter but perhaps I'll burn up the little motor. It may be running to hot.

As a side Note. The China cheapo meters are also a real boon for me.

O$S
Floyd

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
At this time I know of no way to collect the data on the Eco-worthy aside from watch the display all day. I do that while I have my coffee at sun up but by the time the coffee is gone we are usually back in float and there just isn't much to see.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
O&S

Not asking you to spend more $$ - glad to hear your system works for you

I have to assume like you most folks simply do not care what the efficiency numbers are if the battery gets charged all is good.

Was hoping/expecting there were other techs here at RV.NET that would take a few minutes to collect some data. I expect at least a few others have the needed equipment to take the measurements, collect the data and put it into a simple .csv file then produce a simple graph.
Then again maybe not