cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multimeter recommendation?

Kansas_couple
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to buy a multimeter, as my rig's refrigerator doesn't work on electric but still works on gas. There is power to its outlet (of course, that would be too easy of a fix..) and I know my next steps will involve going to the circuit board. I'm looking at the Klein Tools multimeters they sell at Home Depot. Noticed the CL 390 can measure DC amperage. Would this be something to have, or is measuring DC current not that important? If not, then I'd go with one of the less-expensive models. I'm open to thoughts and input. Thanks!
52 REPLIES 52

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
That "390 meter" from Home Depot would serve you well.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Fluke and Amprobe clamp-on meters we use primarily for accurate current measurements. For quick, general troubleshooting we generally use one of 3 or 4 red Harbor Freight VM's we picked up for free a few years ago (currently sell for $6.99). DC volts read to .xx and they're reasonably accurate.

There are a number of inexpensive clamp-on ammeters with test leads for measuring DC and AC voltage, that also have capability to measure both DC *and* AC current (using the clamp-on, not the test leads), available on Amazon. IMO these units are the best, all-around, single device for general RV troubleshooting.

Kansas_couple
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the comments!

I didn't mention this in my original post, but I am closing on a house next week so I figure even if I didn't have the refrigerator issues, a good multimeter will still be very useful.

Roger--according to the info on Home Depot's page, the 390 can measure up to 400 amps DC.
fj12ryder--it is a clamp-on meter. My electrical knowledge is a bit limited but I do know I want the ability to measure current in addition to volts and resistance.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
DC amperage is very hand around an RV where nearly everything is DC. Is this a clamp on amp meter or do you have to insert the probes into the cirucit? I prefer the clamp style as it's much easier to use and will read much higher currents. If you ever need to measure DC current from a solar array or to an inverter you will appreciate the clamp DC meter.
I wouldn't buy anything electrical from HF. If you're going to invest in a tool invest in a good one. Fluke is the top of the heap but I'd take Klein, Southwire, or Ideal any day.
Keep in mind, with cheap HF meters, you will have live electrical power flowing thur this device. A cheap meter that blows up in your hand is a really bad deal.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is the meter a clamp-on amp meter? I rarely use my amp meter, but it's very handy to have. The Harbor Freight meters will do a decent job for simple continuity and voltage testing, but nothing sophisticated. The level ability of the meter should match your level ability. 🙂 For simple continuity and voltage testing, a HF cheapo will work as well as a $150 Fluke. But if you need more...
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much amperage does it measure? Most low to mid priced meters will only measure small amounts of amps so that function is largely useless. As noted above just buy something cheap as it will do more than most of us need.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy the best you can afford. Frequently, when you have an electrical problem, others here can suggest tests to be made to find the problem. You may not know how to do the tests but others can guide you through it. Meter readings are essential for a rapid solution. No meter, no solution.

Also, in the course of doing the above, you will learn tricks to put in your memory bag.

P.S. having an amp meter can be very helpful.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a cheap Harbor Freight meter if that's all you're doing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html