cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Near engine overheating gauge

JayNewbieRV
Explorer III
Explorer III

I have a 2007 Winnebago View 23J, mini motor home (Class C) with a Mercedes-Benz 2.7-liter, five-cylinder, turbo-diesel engine.

My overheat gauge is anywhere from 200 to 250, it doesnโ€™t hit the red zone unless itโ€™s over 100ยฐ out, I live in St. George Utah; any ideas or tips on how to remedy this problem. 

The radiator seems to be working fine as well as the fan and coolant, might I need a new radiator or a bigger radiator to fix this problem???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator

If itโ€™s working fine at lower temperatures and holding the proper engine temp (do you know what that is supposed to be?) then presumably youโ€™re correct and the system is working relatively well. 
Aside from a coolant flush, if itโ€™s original coolant it is very likely done for and may have a lower boiling point. Is it puking coolant at all?  Have you had to add coolant? Do you know what the right coolant is? Has it been mixed with the wrong stuff?  
if you donโ€™t know any of these answers and suspect it being 10 years or older, it needs a coolant flush anyways. 
Thermoatat radiator and water pump have to be fine if it holds proper temp under but cooler conditions. 
is the rad stack full of bugs or ____ and needs cleaned/washed?

How do you know the fan(s) are working properly? Can you hear it/them kick in or get louder when the temp goes up?  
If electric fans and if similar to my old mid 2000s Diamler car, the fans have several stages. And you wouldnโ€™t know if they were working properly without testing their operation. 
Lots of things to consider. Dirty rad stack is free and easy. Coolant flush is needed anyway. Electric fan(s) malfunction is likely the issue. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

View solution in original post

Iโ€™m looking at that as one possibility 

thank you 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad

New radiator time?

2010 Suncruiser

Iโ€™m looking at that as one possibility 

thank you 

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator

If itโ€™s working fine at lower temperatures and holding the proper engine temp (do you know what that is supposed to be?) then presumably youโ€™re correct and the system is working relatively well. 
Aside from a coolant flush, if itโ€™s original coolant it is very likely done for and may have a lower boiling point. Is it puking coolant at all?  Have you had to add coolant? Do you know what the right coolant is? Has it been mixed with the wrong stuff?  
if you donโ€™t know any of these answers and suspect it being 10 years or older, it needs a coolant flush anyways. 
Thermoatat radiator and water pump have to be fine if it holds proper temp under but cooler conditions. 
is the rad stack full of bugs or ____ and needs cleaned/washed?

How do you know the fan(s) are working properly? Can you hear it/them kick in or get louder when the temp goes up?  
If electric fans and if similar to my old mid 2000s Diamler car, the fans have several stages. And you wouldnโ€™t know if they were working properly without testing their operation. 
Lots of things to consider. Dirty rad stack is free and easy. Coolant flush is needed anyway. Electric fan(s) malfunction is likely the issue. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

I usually don't disagree with you Grit, but on this one I do. I would say the fact that they radiator can hold up under cooler conditions doesn't necessarily rule out a problem with higher temperatures. It could be that the radiator is barely able to keep things cool and the added load of a hot day pushes it past that point.

But I definitely agree with you on investigating the electric fans and flushing the coolant before he goes anywhere near replacing components. 

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

You have given me lots of valuable information and I really appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback about some of the things I need to check and how I can troubleshoot this problem!!!

I will most definitely first get a coolant flush and then I need to have those fans checked, so I guess Iโ€™ll take it to a radiator shop. 
Thanks again for all your valuable information!!!

I feel much better and how Iโ€™m going to troubleshoot and move forward!

Happy trails๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

Is it overheating or coming close to overheating? Have you flushed it?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

It gets close to overheating and one time I had to turn off the AC while I was driving when it was 100ยฐ out. 
If itโ€™s in the 90ยฐ temperatures outside and Iโ€™m going uphill with the AC on, I have to turn the AC off so it doesnโ€™t hit the red zone and overheat. 

I have not given it a flush yet and that may be a good solution to start with???

Any other thoughts???

Thank you for taking the time out to send me an email. I really appreciate it๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜Š

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

What problem are you trying to solve?

When the temperature is 90ยฐ outside and Iโ€™m running the AC inside, especially if Iโ€™m going up a hill or an incline; I have to turn off the AC so it doesnโ€™t overheat and hit the red zone heat gauge. 
I would like to solve the problem of overheating when Iโ€™m running the AC.

When Iโ€™m driving, Iโ€™m constantly watching the temperature gauge, because Iโ€™m worried itโ€™s going to overheat and ruin the engine.  
I have not given it a radiator flush yet and that may be a possible solution???

Any thoughts from you???

I appreciate your Email response and thank you๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜Š