Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nearly dead battery

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a battery cutoff switch to my TT battery. It was discounted from
the TT. I switched it on and went inside and the battery was nearly dead. It was fully charged when it was switched off. What would cause it to go dead in two weeks? 20011 Gulf Stream TT.
samsontdog:o:W
21 REPLIES 21

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Every wire should be fused to reduce the possibility of a fire hazard.

Indeed every wire should be fused, but not every fused wire is fused at the fuse box. Some have inline fuses.

I agree that the best place to check for parasitic drain is at the battery, between the negative battery terminal and the chassis ground.

However, once you determine you have one, then you have to start poking around in individual circuits, like at the fuse box, to find it.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
How do you know you don't miss a wire? With the first guy's suggestion, you CAN'T miss a wire.

Every wire should be fused to reduce the possibility of a fire hazard.

However, I guess there is a possibility that "someone" installed something improperly.

My method identifies each branch that contains parasitic load(s).
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you know you don't miss a wire? With the first guy's suggestion, you CAN'T miss a wire.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
But that assumes that the load is going through the fuse block. Not all do. Some come directly off the battery with their own fuse.

It is true that some fuses have a direct connection outside the fuse panel/block.

I think my test covers those too...

๐Ÿ™‚

LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
But that assumes that the load is going through the fuse block. Not all do. Some come directly off the battery with their own fuse.
Bobbo and Lin

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
maillemaker wrote:
Buy a cheap 12 volt test light. The kind without batteries inside.

When reconnecting the tested-good or new battery connect the POSITIVE FIRST. Leave the negative disconnected.

Clip the test light clamp onto the ground wires that lay disconnected from the battery terminal.

Grab the test light and touch the tip to the positive post, the one that remained disconnected.

Does the light light up?

Yes. You have a draw somewhere. Your disconnect switch is bypassed or shorted somewhere. Leave the negative wire disconnected until you get around to fixing what's wrong.

I am confused about this test.

You say to connect the positive terminal (first), and leave the negative disconnected.

Then you say "touch the tip to the positive post, the one that remained disconnected."

But you said to connect the positive terminal.

Can you please explain?

Thanks,

Steve

He meant negative post so the circuit can be completed...

But, this puts the lamp in series with all of the loads so the lamp will be very dim.

A better solution is to pull each DC fuse one at a time, set the meter to read DC current, and connect the meter leads across the empty fuse slot.

this will read the current for that fuse's branch.

LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
The largest load tester that Schumacher sells is 100 amps
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_21280021-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Goo...

But what would a chincy cheesy company like Schumacher know about battery testers ??

500A

LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a cheap 12 volt test light. The kind without batteries inside.

When reconnecting the tested-good or new battery connect the POSITIVE FIRST. Leave the negative disconnected.

Clip the test light clamp onto the ground wires that lay disconnected from the battery terminal.

Grab the test light and touch the tip to the positive post, the one that remained disconnected.

Does the light light up?

Yes. You have a draw somewhere. Your disconnect switch is bypassed or shorted somewhere. Leave the negative wire disconnected until you get around to fixing what's wrong.

I am confused about this test.

You say to connect the positive terminal (first), and leave the negative disconnected.

Then you say "touch the tip to the positive post, the one that remained disconnected."

But you said to connect the positive terminal.

Can you please explain?

Thanks,

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
The largest load tester that Schumacher sells is 100 amps
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_21280021-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Goo...

But what would a chincy cheesy company like Schumacher know about battery testers ??
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Had a little bet with a distributor. Full-on dinner at Tony Roma's drinks and dessert. His argument was the same as yours. RJ's fishing. "They all have cheesegrater testers".

His incidence of testing OK but having the battery come back bad in 90 days was >30%. Mine was zero 0.0000000%

Auto Meter's 800 ampere tester sold for in excess of FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS. And Other than Sun's VAT 33 and VAT 40, it was just about the only full BCI loading method of testing batteries correctly. THAT's WHY THEY USE THE CHEESE GRATER LOAD TESTERS. "Better-then-nothing, is not the same as ADEQUATE".

3 VO & Water, King Size order of baby back ribs and coconut chocolate pie coming up!

If you contact the BCI and ask them about the relevance of testing batteries with a cheese grater, you will hear silence, then a chuckle.

This is as silly as saying one of those "Five Floating Balls" hydrometer thingees can substitute for a Francis Freas hydrometer, or a Stewart Warner dash gauge voltmeter will suffice for battery monitoring. Yeah 28 dollars when I purchased 30 of them. Ooooo what a surprise. 12.00 volt power supply, readings from 11.5 to 13 volts. The official reply from Stewart Warner? "Well, they're meant to give an acceptably approximate reading".

Chesse graters. Better than nothing, but not by much.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Also check the breakaway switch for the brakes.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Hospitals have cardiac patients on a TREADMILL not sitting in an easy chair. The 100 amp load tester is near useless. Except if you plan on using a 200 amp hour battery. A perfectly bad battery can pull the wool over the eyes of a 100 amp load tester so fast it'd make your head spin
-------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, that's why every auto parts in the US sells them,cuz they are useless.
And they accuse me of snoddish sarcastic remarks !

Maybe try getting out in the real world someday, and forget the books.
I said it before, I may not always know whats right, but I know what works !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The 100 amp tester is like getting a cardiac stress test...

"OK all the electrodes are connected. Now grab a book and start reading".

Hospitals have cardiac patients on a TREADMILL not sitting in an easy chair. The 100 amp load tester is near useless. Except if you plan on using a 200 amp hour battery. A perfectly bad battery can pull the wool over the eyes of a 100 amp load tester so fast it'd make your head spin.

The BCI developed the 50% of CCA, 9.6 volts minimum after 15 seconds of loading for a reason.

"I want to test drive your car before I buy it. Say to the end of the block?"

The 500-amp load tester is the way to go. Way to go Bobbo.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
After reading your post, I ordered this.

500 amp load tester
Bobbo and Lin