cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEC 2020 & Receptacles

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
For those considering installing a 30 or 50 amp receptacle at home for their RV's, you might check out the changes the 2020 NEC has instituted. Looks like GFCI's will be required on all outdoor receptacles. NEC Increased GFCI Protection
17 REPLIES 17

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Naturally the company that makes GFCI's want's 50A RV's to be included. They stand to make a ton of money.
Imagine all those RV's tripping them with problem firdges, etc and then going to the CG demanding they "fix" it.

Sounds like a new market out there for isolation XFMR's.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. These changes, and indeed any code updates, only become binding as they are ratified by your state or local building codes. That said, GFCI protection is a very good idea regardless; they have a proven track record of saving lives.

I'm a bit surprised (and disappointed) that the new requirements were not also applied to RV parks.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the post. RVs and RV CGs are still exempt as I understand the article, as is agriculture exempt.

However they should not be exempt IMHO and perhaps a future change will require them for RVs.

I've posted many times that every RVer should plug into a 20A GFCI outlet and test their 120V equipment. That limits heavy draw appliances to testing one at a time but still a reasonable test.

Should GFCIs become common place in CGs I suspect there will be significant numbers of upset RVers who have no power. And finding those faults can be time consuming and hence expensive.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob