cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help figuring out why my rig is overweight

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks, this might be a weird question, but I need help figuring out why my rig is overweight. Let me explain.

We have a Grand Design Momentum 354M 5th wheel toy hauler. Here are the stats that matter:

• Dry weight: 13,400
  • Pin weight: 2,700
  • GVWR: 16,500
  • Axle Rating: 2 x 7000
  • Fresh water capacity: 157 gallons
  • Fuel capacity: 60 gallons

Basic arithmetic tells us that with full fresh water and fuel tanks but nothing else, the weight is 15,211 pounds. That leaves us with 1,289 pounds for cargo.

The problem is, when we are fully loaded with cargo and full fuel and fresh water tanks, the CAT scales put me at a whopping 17,500 pounds (3,220 on the pin and 14,280 on the axles).

I know that CAT scales are reliable, but I still used 2 different ones to be sure. I also weighed the truck without the trailer attached so I could get an exact calculation.

Here's the thing, though: There's absolutely no way we have that much cargo. We use the garage for our son's bedroom. We don't have "toys." The heaviest things we have in the RV are our washer/dryer combo (150~ pounds), a cabinet we added in the garage (<200 pounds) and our mattress (100~ pounds).

Other than that, all we have are food, clothes, baby toys, and miscellaneous items like some camping gear and alpine skis. None of it weighs more than 30 pounds, and there isn't a lot of it. We aren't hardcore minimalists, but we don't like having a lot of stuff. We do regular purges of unneeded items.

I can see MAYBE having 500-800 pounds of cargo (after the items listed above), but there's no way that we have a total of 2,289 pounds (which is what we'd need to hit 17,500 pounds).

There's also no way that we have 14,280 pounds on the axles. The only things in the garage are the cabinet, washer/dryer, our son's crib, and some baby toys.

The only thing that I can figure is that I'm somehow using the scales wrong. However, I'm using the 3 boxes and getting weights for steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axle, so I don't think I've positioned it wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas?
2004 33RL Colorado 5th wheel
2013 Ram SLT Cummins dually

Full-timing since February 2015!
52 REPLIES 52

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
This reminds me of the movie "UP" when they lose a few balloons and need to start pitching all possessions overboard ๐Ÿ˜‰

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
What isn't helpful are posts questioning why I would have our tanks fully loaded, suggesting that I don't know how much our personal items weigh, or assuming we're rookies.

I'm not sure why people automatically make these assumptions when they add nothing to the conversation.

Welcome to rv.net. I have said many times before this forum is one of the most hostile "help" forums I have ever encountered.

It seems like half the replies want to tell you why you're an idiot.

Anyway, I'd believe the scale. If you really want to know how much your rig weighed when you bought it, take everything out of it and go weigh it. Then compare that with what the dealer said it weighed.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I have been to a number of RV factories and never seen a scale."

Take the DRV plant tour in Howe, IN

First pic at end of production. Second pic at factory one year later for warranty work.

So were the first weights wrong? Or have you actually added over 2 tons of "stuff"?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I've read all of the posts and your original question. It is, "why my rig is overweight?"

The only way to know for sure is to empty it and weigh it. It's a daunting task, I know. Been there, done that for a factory return a few years ago.

Once you know a true empty weight for your rig, you can make decisions on what to do next.

But until you get a truly empty weighing, there's nothing you can do to figure out why your rig is overweight.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, the specs on the rig states the unloaded weight is based on an average. Your specific rig could be heavier for many reasons.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I have been to a number of RV factories and never seen a scale."

Take the DRV plant tour in Howe, IN

First pic at end of production. Second pic at factory one year later for warranty work.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a custom made cargo trailer a few years ago. It was delivered with an incorrect weight sticker. The sticker used the wrong axle rating to calculate GVWR. I called the factory and they sent me a new corrected sticker.

A number of years ago I called the factory that built my travel trailer. The sun had faded my weight sticker to the point it could not be read. I asked for a new sticker. One was mailed to me. All was correct except the date of manufacture. It used the current date as the build date. I called the factory. I was told by the clerk who made the sticker that the date could not be changed as the machine spit out only the date the sticker was made.

I have been to a number of RV factories and never seen a scale. I went to Google Earth and looked at the Grand Design factory in Middlebury. I did not see a scale.

The take away from all of this is do not think that the stickers on an RV are always correct.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
My experience is that the sticker is never the same or close to the brochure weight. The brochure weight is generally a stripped model with no options.
If your sticker reflects the brochure weight I'd suspect the sticker is inaccurate.
If you are that certain that your cargo is not excessive than the sticker has to be wrong otherwise your cargo is excessive. There is no other scenario.
Nevertheless unless you simply weighed your rig wrong, your rig is overloaded.
You need to establish a base weight. Maybe Grand Design can shed some light.
But what can they tell you that you don't already know? The sticker is bogus? The scale is wrong? Assuming the scale is correct the only significant thing GD can say is "New axles are on the way!"
At this point I would rely on the actual scale numbers, unless you get new axles you need to unload something. Stickers and brochures are are no substitute for the scale.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

js218
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ Excellent answer jayspi. I purchased my rig to carry as much water and fuel as possible that's. what it was built to do, heading to southern Baja Mexico with 150 gallons of fresh water an enough fuel to get me there and back to the states.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
Normally this forum is really helpful, and in this thread there have been a few helpful posts. Thank you to everyone who gave helpful feedback and advice.

What isn't helpful are posts questioning why I would have our tanks fully loaded, suggesting that I don't know how much our personal items weigh, or assuming we're rookies.

I'm not sure why people automatically make these assumptions when they add nothing to the conversation.

Just because we don't have toys doesn't mean that we never need that much fuel and water. We boondock. A lot. And since we have a 1 year old we need extra water to give him baths and do a load or two of laundry.

And no, I don't normally drive down the highway with that much weight. We fill up close to our destination. Why on earth would I travel long distances with an extra 1500~ pounds I don't need to carry...that would be idiotic. The only time I've done that with this rig is to test the performance of our new truck. I fully loaded it and towed it over two mountain ranges to get a feel for how the truck did. I also weighed it on that trip. When we found we were overweight we dumped a lot of water.

Second, I know roughly how much our stuff weighs. Why? Because this is our third 5th wheel. I know how much cargo we had in our last 2, and we downsized a LOT when we moved into this RV. It has a lot less storage, so we dumped hundreds of pounds of tools, clothes, etc, that we didn't need.

Third, we've full-timed for over 4 years and throughout our lives we have owned 3 5th wheels and been to over 30 states, including going north of the Arctic Circle while towing. We know what we're doing.

Lantley wrote:
This scenario is why it is recommended to use the GVW of the RV vs. the dry weight.
For the most part the sticker weight is not available when researching and the dry weights taken from the brochures are notoriously inaccurate.
An experienced RV'er understands what the dry weight represents however a rookie finds out too late, after they are already in the jackpot

As said above, we aren't rookies.

The sticker is slightly LESS than 13,400 pounds. I checked that before signing the paperwork.

Also, dry weights (at least for modern RVs) include fully loaded propane tanks.

FWIW, the sticker says it can carry 3,039 pounds of cargo.

rhagfo wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Maybe I missed it somewhere in a previous post, but if you donโ€™t have โ€˜toysโ€™ why would you add 60 gallons of fuel? Thatโ€™s nearly 500 pounds. Sure thereโ€™s a genset, but at ~1/2 gal. / hour thatโ€™s 120 hours of run time.

Beyond that I canโ€™t imagine how long youโ€™d be boondocking that youโ€™d need 157 gallons, 1,200 pounds, of water.

Just because a tank holds X number of gallons doesnโ€™t mean it needs to be filled.

X2

Horsedoc wrote:
I hope I misunderstood what the OP said about water. If not, why would you want to haul 157 gallons of water? Maybe if you were headed a short distance to dry camp, but who hauls that much water traveling? good grief!

Because we need that much when we're going off grid for extended periods.

Walaby wrote:
So, I guess Im wondering what you expect to accomplish calling the manufacturer. You have the weights, they are what they are, and your loaded weight is not going to change with anything the manufacturer tells you.

My Grand Design 367 BHS was about 350 lbs heavier than the listed dry weight.

I suspect it's a combination of not accurate dry weight from manufacturer, and your stuff weighing more than you think.

Just not sure what you will accomplish arguing with manufacturer about dry weight.

Mike

I'm not planning on arguing with them. Grand Design has been extremely helpful every time I've called.

What I want to know is if the dry weight on the sticker (not on the web site) was before or after they added dealer options. If the built it with the options that the dealer ordered and weighed it when it came off the line then the sticker will include the options. If they didn't then I can add up the weight of the options and know what the actual dry weight is.

After that, some simple multiplication and addition will tell me how much our cargo is.

It's a heck of a lot easier to do that then to take everything out of the RV.

If they can't give me an answer then I'll check with the dealer. We know the owner. He'll probably know the exact weight since he had to pay to get it shipped.

On our RV the only options were the happy jack bed and couches (they both weigh next to nothing, and we took the couches and table and chairs out anyway) and the generator.

A 350+/- pound discrepancy is totally understandable. A 900 pound discrepancy (which is what we'd have to have to be this overweight) is not.

As someone said in an earlier post, if there is that much of a discrepancy then we might be able to talk Grand Design into upgrading the axles, assuming the chassis can also handle the extra weight.

Grand Design does do stuff like that occasionally. People talk about it in the various Momentum owners groups. Occasionally Grand Design has problems with axles, brakes, suspension, etc, and will either do upgrades or reimburse for the cost of them.

Even if they won't upgrade the axles I might do it myself. Again, assuming that the axles are the weak point and that the chassis and other components can handle the extra weight.
2004 33RL Colorado 5th wheel
2013 Ram SLT Cummins dually

Full-timing since February 2015!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
This scenario is why it is recommended to use the GVW of the RV vs. the dry weight.
For the most part the sticker weight is not available when researching and the dry weights taken from the brochures are notoriously inaccurate.
An experienced RV'er understands what the dry weight represents however a rookie finds out too late, after they are already in the jackpot
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Sounds like the manufacturer's dry weight is simply grossly incorrect. You have to believe the scales.

Those fictional dry weights are for a stripped-down version of the trailer.
So adding the weights of the batteries and options, 1000lbs extra aren't that unusual. What does the factory UVW weight sticker say?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

js218
Explorer
Explorer
I run with 150 gallons of water all the time.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I love these topics!!! Too funny seeing people not believe they could possibly have added so much weight.

First thing is a RV should have a FACTORY weight, mine was 18,075#. Had a 6500 CUMMINS gen added so how in the HE!! did my RV get to 23k???????

Numbers don't lie, yes I have added around 4,600# to my RV plain and simple.

Thankfully I have a BEAST to tow it!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
You explained it yourself
from an empty weight of 13,400
Liquids, water and fuel,,,1,600
the extras you listed,,,
"The heaviest things we have in the RV are our washer/dryer combo (150~ pounds), a cabinet we added in the garage (<200 pounds) and our mattress (100~ pounds)."
an additional 450 lbs

And your at 15,450.

And we still haven't added batteries, propane tanks, or kitchen and clothing.