cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neutral wire burning in surge protector

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
For the second time in about 2 months, the neutral wire leading from the OUT of my EMS-HW30C surge protector has burnt in half. I cut and cleaned the wires and now it's working fine, but i would like to understand why it is over heating. Here is a picture of the damage

The surge protector didn't give a reading for any problems.
16 REPLIES 16

nbounder
Explorer
Explorer
You've got a stinky situation here. Calling the tech at PI was a wise move. I am surprised they didn't send you a whole new unit right off the bat. I would call and pretty much DEMAND one, strictly for life protection. I pretty much go along with the posts above, but damn the reason, you have a life threatening situation and need to treat it as such. Get back on the phone and demand a replacement. After installation, monitor the temperature of the unit, and if it still gets hot, get an electrician in. Don't screw around here.
Nbounder
KG7DKF

swburbguy
Explorer
Explorer
After you tighten the wire good and tight in the lug, give the wire a little wiggle. Then retighten it.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Inside a screw type terminal block the block bore has to be shiny clean, as well as the copper strands that fit into it. A pass through connector bolt and nuts have to be SHINY clean, under the threads, flat washers sides, under the bolt head, the threads, everything. A 20 amp load applied to a semi bad connector can fire a wire in under 10-seconds, no matter how tight the screw or nut gets tightened. There is a hell of a difference between "no corrosion" and "shiny clean". To make things worse, an overheated connector or block can ANNEAL get too soft and cause problems later on. I would replace the burned wire, the connector fastener on BOTH sides or ends, and then check the outside wire and terminal with a magnifying glass. Not worth burning up at 3AM

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Consider some #10 or #8 solid wire in the connector and wirenut to the stranded.
Any copper that has been heated should be cut back until you have completely undamaged wire.

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
I just called progressive and spoke to the tech. He says if it happened 2 times in this short period of time, and it was fully tightened, that the problem is going to be something in the trailer it's self. They are sending me a new sensor and contact, but can anyone comment on what could possibly cause this on the trailer end aside from a loose connection?

and point taken danny thank you. I got a new one on the way. I take it that could be the cause of this 2nd failure. I'd still like to know what this man meant by the problem is on the trailer end.

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
KcBorne wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I considered that, but I'm just wondering why this happened twice in a short period of time. The first time a friend who is a qualified electrician cleaned and reconnected the wire. He screwed it on very tight. I also live in this camper, so it's running 24/7. Would a high energy draw cause the neutral to over heat? The appliances i keep plugged in are the Fridge, Microwave, 2 lamps, 1 fan, flat screen TV, computer, computer speakers, toaster oven, toaster, and my wife's Hair straightener on top of the trailers AC unit. My surge protector currently reads 122v 3a 60h.

Get rid of the wife's hair straightener and you should be good to go.
2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
The connection was never tight the first time causing it get hot and burn the wire, after that happens the lug on the terminal block is shot I don't care how hard you tighten it. That looks like a contactor so it will have to be replaced along with the wire.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said it's a poor connection
Suggest you replace BOTH the wire and screw down terminal assembly

Never seen that specific failure mode in the few Surge Guards I repaired over the years

teddyu
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the lug set-screw threads in the picture. The neutral lead set-screw has about 2 threads exposed whereas the hot lead set-screw is recessed. I would speculate that the neutral lead set-screw is stripped internally. JM2ยข...
Ted Fulltiming in the DreamCatcher a
2008 Challenger 371PE on F53 w/ 2010 Cobalt
R'V there yet?

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks pretty well chared on the lugs too.....Id replace what you can and coat all the wires with dielectric grease, then tighten them all down again.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
It needs a new connector but you could try to pigtail with some #8 solid.

I always worry about getting every strand under the clamp. I ended up using #8 stranded from the EMS to the panel. Solid #10 hits the input.

Can't find it by the foot anymore ๐Ÿ˜ž

jmanatee
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, loose terminals cause heat. There are proper specs for tightening heavy gauge terminals. I use the VERY tight spec ๐Ÿ™‚

I had a 125a breaker popping at my house caused buy a loose connection on 1/0 cable. Tightening it fixed the problem.
Jon

RV Web Site | 50 Night Cross Country Trip
Our Solar Install | Roof Replacement Project

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you
didn't do than by things you did. Explore, Dream, Discover. Mark Twain

2010 Keystone Everest 348R

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea if progressive would replace the surge protector under the lifetime warranty? or would this type of damage some how void the warranty?

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, I considered that, but I'm just wondering why this happened twice in a short period of time. The first time a friend who is a qualified electrician cleaned and reconnected the wire. He screwed it on very tight. I also live in this camper, so it's running 24/7. Would a high energy draw cause the neutral to over heat? The appliances i keep plugged in are the Fridge, Microwave, 2 lamps, 1 fan, flat screen TV, computer, computer speakers, toaster oven, toaster, and my wife's Hair straightener on top of the trailers AC unit. My surge protector currently reads 122v 3a 60h.