cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Neutral wire burning in surge protector

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
For the second time in about 2 months, the neutral wire leading from the OUT of my EMS-HW30C surge protector has burnt in half. I cut and cleaned the wires and now it's working fine, but i would like to understand why it is over heating. Here is a picture of the damage

The surge protector didn't give a reading for any problems.
16 REPLIES 16

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
The only answer is a poor connection. Period. Heat spreads from the poor connection. You may have screwed down the screw perfectly, but the connection below that may be poor, and with no insulation to melt, you won't know what is hot.

Get an infrared laser pistol shaped thermometer and point it around the connection, you will find the hot spot easily with one of those, and then know what you have to fix.

I bought one for only $30 on sale, and I use it to check my tires when running, my brakes and calipers, and all around my house to find where the cold comes in and the heat is hottest.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch. It looks like one of those events has taken a bite out of the sensor that is around the primary (black wire). A loose connection will build heat, as will a short. I would be worried that the protector is not protecting anything, at this point.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton