cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new 5er

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
we just got a new to us 5th wheel it has 50amp can we plug it into our house rdegular plug and not hurt anything in trailer or house we will have company in it for a few months thank for the info
8 REPLIES 8

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Stickdog +

we do the same at daughter's on a regular basis. Just need to be aware of what you are trying to use. We can run A/C, small heater, microwave, coffee maker; just one at a time.

Doug

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We're staying at a friends country estate, okay it's twenty acres. We've been on 20amp for six weeks. Run the WH and fridge on gas, the only appliance we run is the morning mr coffee and the toaster one at a time. A few cool nights we've run a small ceramic heater in the bedroom. We're next to a big metal shop that blocks OTA TV so we don't worry about that.
20 amp is fine as long as you don't think your staying at the Ritz.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Sure. By regular I assume your asking about a standard 20A outlet? You can either use a 50/20 adapter or do like I did and make a 20A extension cord.

That works just fine as long as nobody tries to run the air conditioner or anything else that exceeds the capacity of the breaker. We run ours with an adapter off a 15A circuit, it does not have a/c although is wired with a 30A connector in case we want to add one.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES you can plug into a regular house outlet.........preferably a 20A non GFI outlet and one that doesn't have other appliances/equipment on that circuit.

You will need a 50A to 20A Adapter
You then plug your RV 50A cord into the adapter and then adapter into the house outlet

You will have enough AC power to operate the converter which will maintain charge on trailer battery and supply the 12V DC System.
You will also have enough AC power to operate Television....but no microwave or A/C Unit.

The 12V DC System will allow you to operate fridge, water heater and furnace on propane. Having lighting and run water pump IF you don't have hose connected to city water connection.

WE (2 adults) lived in our 5vr for little over 1 month using 15A outlet in house garage while parked along side house waiting for escrow to close.

RVs are designed to be 'self contained' and by using DC System and Propane you are basically 'dry camping' but have enough AC power to run converter

Waste tanks.........buy a portable Flojet Macerator. It also runs off 12V DC power. Connects to end of waste tank dump line and then uses a garden hose for discharge (5/8" OK------3/4" better). Can pump waste tanks (black and grey) to a sewer clean out (or laundry sink/toilet if needed) Pumps up to 100' with a 2' rise.

I use a macerator to pump when visiting sister........empties my 50 gallon black in roughly 10 minutes.

SO YES you can live in a trailer without having FHU on site.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
It will not hurt anything. Just very likely you will be tripping the breaker on occasion. But you can get by fine on a 20 amp outlet if you are very careful and do not use much in the way of high current devices. Meaning no A/C, electric space heater, toaster/oven, hair dryer, etc. that pull a lot of amps. And run the water heater on propane, not electric. You can operate the lights, furnace, and other relatively low current devices. And they could live in it under those restrictions. But I agree with above. It would be much better to get at least a standard 30 amp outlet installed.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You can plug it in and have basic power. However the unit is not designed to function on just a 20 amp cord.
If someone will be using the unit you should have a 30 amp circuit. Even then you will need to practice a few energy management techniques
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You need to start reading literature and school yourself. No ypu cannot just plug intoba regular house and get full power. A real authentic genuine certified licensed (whew) electrician needs to come out and install the correct receptacle for your rig to plug into. Then you have domestic water and waste disposal that also need to be correctly installed. None of this is a job for amateurs unless you desire a sudden six-figure "oops" repair bill. Your hookups will mimic those found in a genuine RV Park.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure. By regular I assume your asking about a standard 20A outlet? You can either use a 50/20 adapter or do like I did and make a 20A extension cord.