cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New generator technology product

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/83512/bluetti-unveils-next-gen-power-na-battery-packs-solar-generators/index.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=newsletter
1994 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
P-30 chassis 7.4L 454 TBI 58,301 miles and counting....(as of 06/08/19)
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System Generator man 360 (PM me)
42 REPLIES 42

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
road-runner wrote:
I wish they wouldn't call them generators. Very misleading, IMO.

X2!

Not just misleading but an intentional redirection using ones emotions and hope for a "better future" to get one to open their wallets for false hope and lies. Sensationalize things above what they actually are to sell an inferior product is the name of the game..

Huckster comes to mind.

Rechargeable batteries do not "generate", they are a means of STORAGE and nothing more. Have to have something to put into them in order to get something out. The downside is all of the energy conversions creates losses of energy along with the silly fact that it takes more space and weight to store the equivalent energy of liquid fuels (energy) in a battery..

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wish they wouldn't call them generators. Very misleading, IMO.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
2112 wrote:
It's certainly doable with the 12.6kwh option as long as you don't run the AC much and have plenty of solar. And plenty of solar friendly days. The AC would run about 6 hours on 12.6kwh. But then your batteries are depleted.

I don't know what it would take to charge while driving. You might have to give that up.
How much solar and how many solar friendly days, is something you never see talked about.
I think Valhalla360 was trying to drive that point home above. More than what can be reasonably carried on a Class A.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I did not see it mentioned but to get 240V for running things like well pumps, you need 2 units plus a special adapter.

I am not sure if this is a good idea or not, but being able to do a fast charge at an RV charge station is unique. Of course, if you have no power, will the charge station have power ?

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
It's certainly doable with the 12.6kw option as long as you don't run the AC much and have plenty of solar. And plenty of solar friendly days. The AC would run about 6 hours on 12.6kw. But then your batteries are depleted.

I don't know what it would take to charge while driving. You might have to give that up.

How much solar and how many solar friendly days, is something you never see talked about.
I've learned that Michigan is ranked 47th of the 48 continental states. Therefor I would think that solar power in Mi. is not very good/practical. Yet it is being pushed here. Why cover up good farm land?

Explorer II
Explorer II
It's certainly doable with the 12.6kw option as long as you don't run the AC much and have plenty of solar. And plenty of solar friendly days. The AC would run about 6 hours on 12.6kw. But then your batteries are depleted.

Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
udidwht wrote:
I was given thought of a replacement for a gas generator....

1. Silent operation
2. No gas to burn
3. Lasts several days (one I linked)
4. Recharges via solar panel/s attached to roof or perhaps portable panels.
5. Low maintenance

Yes cost is a factor but so is replacing a gas generator such as an Onan 4K.

What are you trying to accomplish?

If you have modest energy usage, there are plenty of solar/battery/inverter systems available or it's not that hard to put one together yourself. And that's fine if that's all you need. You can do several days. Heck, a lot of people do several days with good old fashioned lead acid golf cart batteries.

If you have more substantial power needs...such as running the air/con, that's when people typically jump up to a generator. These systems won't compare well to an actual generator. If you need air/con, Let's say under modest conditions, it may have a 50% duty cycle and draw an average of 1.2kw. The 12kwh battery bank will last you about 20hr (not several days). Actually less as you don't want to run them down to 0%, so probably more like 16-18hr.

If it's hot and the air/con runs continuously, figure maybe half that. This assumes no other electrical loads.

If you want to replace say 10kwh in a day, you are going to need around 2500w (nominal rating) of solar panels. (To estimate kwh production, around 4 times the nominal rating gives you a baseline for what you can expect.) That's a lot of panels.

Plus SI batteries are larger and weigh more per kwh of storage compared to lithium. A key consideration on an RV.

Unfortunately the advertisement/article doesn't provide much of anything in terms of specifications but it sure doesn't look like a great option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
I was given thought of a replacement for a gas generator....

1. Silent operation
2. No gas to burn
3. Lasts several days (one I linked)
4. Recharges via solar panel/s attached to roof or perhaps portable panels.
5. Low maintenance

Yes cost is a factor but so is replacing a gas generator such as an Onan 4K.
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

Explorer II
Explorer II
We were discussing This One last week. This battery pack can be quick charged at an EV charge station.

That thread went political and was deleted.

I could mount this 100lb device on its side in my FW basement and have the equivalent Ah of six 6V GC6 batteries with a 4kw PSW inverter.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
udidwht wrote:
What caught my eye...

"This could power an entire house with multiple people living inside of it, and a plethora of devices, for days and days on end. A true game-changer for billions of people on the planet living with unstable power grids, natural disasters knocking down power systems, etc"

You will note, the left out the part of what the cost of a stand alone off grid house system that provides on demand power...would COST.

Nothing special about solar systems with battery backup, particularly in a stationary house scenario. Used in moderation, they can be helpful. Trying to replace more than about 10% of the grid and they get expensive real quick.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

udidwht
Explorer
Explorer
What caught my eye...

"This could power an entire house with multiple people living inside of it, and a plethora of devices, for days and days on end. A true game-changer for billions of people on the planet living with unstable power grids, natural disasters knocking down power systems, etc"
VIN# 1GBJP37N4R3314754

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's a battery, recharged by solar panels(not included and sold separately). ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"