cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New LifeBlue Ver 3 LifePo4 Batteries

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
LifeBlue just came out with their new Version 3 batteries with updated cells, new BMS, and blue cases. New Dual Modbus data port to allow firmware updates. Future Smart Connect WIFI capability. Reset button. LED SOC meter. Prices on the 100ah heated battery went up from $820 to $870.
11 REPLIES 11

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
StirCrazy wrote:
Almot wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

is anyone using pouch cells?

Renogy is. Cost about 2 times less than Battleborn or LifeBlue. And a zillion unknown sellers on Aliexpress.

are they using pouch or Prismatic?

Steve

never mind, Just watched the teardown video. well built though... and realy for the use a average rv would put them through thats probably ok, expecialy if you have 4 of them..... still I would lean towards building my own but its a cheeper option for premade.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Almot wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

Renogy is. Cost about 2 times less than Battleborn or LifeBlue. And a zillion unknown sellers on Aliexpress.

are they using pouch or Prismatic?

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
3 tons wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:
A decent price, but would need to know whether they are pouch cells or cylindrical cells.

3 tons

is anyone using pouch cells? the ony ones I have been sean used are Prismatic cells and cylindrical? pouch cells are a gell based tech that look like they are in a tinfoil pouch.

Steve

Yes, but one must enquire to be sure... This, the only reason why I didn't choose LifeBlue (their previous generation) and I found many other bargain drop-ins on Amazon were pouch-cells as well...I suppose they are just fine, but I noticed shorter warranties and I much prefer cylindrical cells due to their purported better uniformity - JMO

3 tons

really, I wouldnt think pouch cells would be suitable for making this style of battery. there like a tinfoil pouch and the battery is flexable.

I know a lot of people confuse prismatic and pouch but the prismatic is a ridgid case out of steel or hard plastic and is more energy dence than all the other types.

cylendrical does offer some cooling advantages but that is taken away when packed into a case with no airflow, so the cilinderical batteries only advantage is that the automated manufacturing of them is a little faster than Prismatic. there disadvantage is they are heavier than prismatic, can catch fire if there is a issue.
Also for the same output they require way more work to build.

Prismatic have saftey valves to release pressure and reduce the chance of fire, take a little more work to manufacture are light and have a ridgid case so they resist swelling (but still can)

the pouch batterys are the lowest for energy density, require custom manufacturing, but they are flexable and will swell up like a beach ball and not allow any gas release in a breakdown.

I suspect battle born and companies normaly use cylindrical cells for two reasons, 1 they are more readily availble due to massive assembly lines, and two if there is an issue with one cell it has a smaller impact of the overall battery as there are about 100 cells (aprox) in that 100AH 12v battery. the prismatic battery I believe the final assembly is done by hand in a clean room (but I am not sure) so they are a little more expensive initialy but the labour you save on assembly far outweights that, but if one cell goes bad it does have alarger impact as it is 25% of your batter, but change out is very simple.

I just found a video on tesla and that they are possibly moving to Prismatic battery technology. got to go watch it now. 😉

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that’s a very helpful chart and link Sir!!

3 tons

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
StirCrazy wrote:
is anyone using pouch cells? the ony ones I have been sean used are Prismatic cells and cylindrical? pouch cells are a gell based tech that look like they are in a tinfoil pouch.
https://www.epectec.com/batteries/prismatic-pouch-packs.html

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:
A decent price, but would need to know whether they are pouch cells or cylindrical cells.

3 tons

Steve

Yes, but one must enquire to be sure... This, the only reason why I didn't choose LifeBlue (their previous generation) and I found many other bargain drop-ins on Amazon were pouch-cells as well...I suppose they are just fine, but I noticed shorter warranties and I much prefer cylindrical cells due to their purported better uniformity - JMO

3 tons

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
3 tons wrote:

3 tons

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The state of charge shown on the phone app is quite interesting. That separate battery monitor is no longer needed.

I am more intrigued with building my own and save at least half the price.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer

3 tons

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could live quite well with the $1600 200 amp model.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad