cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Roof Increase Gas Mileage by 43%

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Normally I average around 9 mpg with the motorhome. A few days ago I got a new roof. You can read all about it by clicking here to view the discussion.

Since getting the roof I have traveled about 500 miles in the past two days and my mpg has increase by 43% to 12.9 mpg. I never expected a shiny, smooth roof would increase the mpg by that much.
17 REPLIES 17

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get a lot better mileage when I remember to crank the TV antenna down before getting under way. :R
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
I have heard of that too... one other fellow wasn't as happy as you though. He said they put the roof on back to front and got 25% less for mileage. The installer said he couldn't tell the difference and wouldn't fix it!

lol

True story. A fellow Grad Student and I built a scale model of a Clipper Ship ("Herald In The Morning.") to test in the MIT Tow Tank... long story.

Bottom line, the technician operating the tank towing mechanism noted that there was less drag when returning the model to the head of the tank for the next run.

It actually had better performance going astern than ahead! (It had no rudder or other appendages.)

PS We did not win The Great MIT Boat Race of 1975 anyway.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I changed out the old air in my tires. Fresh air makes my rig ride much smoother
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I had them spray nitrogen on our roof while I was getting nitrogen aired into the tires....Mileage went from 11 to over 20.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may be joking but... You'd be amazed at how much damage a coat of Wax can do to Big Oil's profits

Or if you like GOOD for your MPG.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Splashers3 wrote:
On the serious side of things I wonder if you would have noticed any difference in the inside temperature of your RV.

The additional comments were pretty funny.....agree the OP should have waited longer and let things play out.

I've only had the new roof for 2 days so have not been able to determine if there is any insulation benefit. The shop owner told me I will notice an improvement in insulation. I'll learn more as we camp in the coming months.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of that too... one other fellow wasn't as happy as you though. He said they put the roof on back to front and got 25% less for mileage. The installer said he couldn't tell the difference and wouldn't fix it!
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
How long it takeya to hose off the mudslide?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
In reality, I didn't find that all that hard to believe.
I got 1/2 that much just doing a wash job one time.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
On the serious side of things I wonder if you would have noticed any difference in the inside temperature of your RV.

The additional comments were pretty funny.....agree the OP should have waited longer and let things play out.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to respond with comments about FLUX CAPACITORS and DILITHIUM CRYSTALs.

I have also heard that playing your radio very loud will reduce some road weight on the vehicle giving you better gas mileage as well...

And of course here in North America you always get better gas mileage going south then you do going north...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

hammick
Explorer
Explorer
I put Vaseline on my tires and now I get 20mpg with my diesel.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Did your new roof have the Teflon coating?
I Put on a belly pan with a Teflon coating & I got a 37% increase.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Not on this board! Merry Pranksters! Every morning I look in the mirror and say to myself...

"Don't take yourself too seriously"

Wotta setup, better than a kick me sticker...

I can take it.