cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie Electrical Issue - Advice Needed Please

brows827
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all - I'm hoping someone can help me out. I bought a 2014 Rockwood Roo 19 a few weeks ago, and I'm having some electrical issues.

At first, I hooked up to shore power from my house (running on 20 amp breakers with a heavy duty extension cord), and it kept on tripping the breaker after 30 minutes or less.

I also bought a 3500 watt inverter generator, as we're planning to do some boondocking camping, and tried it last night and encountered some issues - which is no good as we're planning to take it out tonight for the weekend.

I start the inverter up and plug it into the camper - and it will show that almost nothing is used.

Once I turn on the AC, it runs fine for 30-45 minutes, showing around 14 amps being used -- but then the generator jumps and shows that the camper is needing 25 amps -- (which is the max for the inverter) for no apparent reason - and will trip the 120 volt circuit breaker on the generator if I don't turn off the AC.

What's really odd is that once I turn the AC off, it shows that there's now 12 or so amps that the camper is using -- though there's absolutely nothing in the camper turned on, and the battery is disconnected.

Definitely would appreciate anyone's advice. I've searched for answers and haven't been able to find anything - except that maybe there's an issue w/ the AC? But that wouldn't explain the issue where there's still a draw after I turn it off.

Thank you in advance -
24 REPLIES 24

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Set the refrigerator to gas not auto. If the water heater has an electric option make sure it is only set to gas. And most important of all, find the circuit breaker for the battery charger and turn it off.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Leave the battery turned on.

What make and model of generator is being used?

What is the shore power voltage? And what is it when the air conditioner is running?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good suggestions above. Please clarify: 3500W gen/120V = 29A, not the 25A you reported. Also does the gen have a 30A outlet that you are using or 20A?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Try using the genny with some breakers turned off,
Run just the AC and check load, then after a while add items, you should see when it is having a large addition and then be able to tell what combination of appliances is causing the overload.
As others have said Water heater, and fridge running on 120 volt ac when AC is on is my guess, in which case for camping, use propane for those items unless you are somewhere with a good 30 amp connection.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did it do this when you checked it out before you purchased it? Maybe the problem is your electrical setup at your home.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
OP says the battery is disconnected; so the electric element of the refrigerator is also on line unless the refer is off. Also the power converter is also on line. 20 amps will generally carry an A/C but nothing else.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm, I been running my 13500 ac for almost two decades plugged into the outlet in the garage. Matter of fact it has been running for a week as I type. :h

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I would bet on electric side of water heater being on.

X2
Call me if you wish
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
20 amp lines will have a hard time running an RV a/c. Especially starting and can supposedly damage the a/c eventually. So running that maxes out the power supply and running anything else significant will trip the breaker. You need a 30 amp line to run that a/c
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet on electric side of water heater being on.
-- Chris Bryant