cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No good deed goes unpunished

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the story. I had a friend ask me to come over and look at why his battery was not charging. He has a 2012 model travel trailer. He was plugged into shore power at his home so I just popped off the battery cables and put the meter on them and it showed nothing. I told him his converter was not charging and he likely needed a new one. He buys one and changes it out and we look again at the battery cable charging output and voila, he has 14 volts.

NOW he says he also changed out the circuit breakers on the tongue and he now thinks that was the problem and not the converter. I explained that the battery cables came right from the converter and the current doesn't pass through those breakers to charge the battery. He says I'm wrong. AM I??
26 REPLIES 26

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
"I explained that the battery cables came right from the converter and the current doesn't pass through those breakers to charge the battery. He says I'm wrong. AM I??"

Simple test. Unhook the breakers and do another voltage measurement. You don't do this to say who is right. You do it for the knowledge to fix these things in the future.

Your post doesn't really say he was angry at you for helping. The problem is fixed and he didn't pay an RV shop $150 an hour to troubleshoot and replace parts until they guessed right.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
How did he get so smart all of a sudden? Sounds to me he was too lazy to take care of his own problem and dumped it on you. Then he catches heck from the treasurer of the family and puts the blame on you.
I'd ghost him. Start calling him Weasel.
Puma 30RKSS

bgiroux
Explorer
Explorer
I always help friends and strangers when I can. Life is better when we can lift up those around us.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
Here's the story. I had a friend ask me to come over and look at why his battery was not charging. He has a 2012 model travel trailer. He was plugged into shore power at his home so I just popped off the battery cables and put the meter on them and it showed nothing. I told him his converter was not charging and he likely needed a new one. He buys one and changes it out and we look again at the battery cable charging output and voila, he has 14 volts.

NOW he says he also changed out the circuit breakers on the tongue and he now thinks that was the problem and not the converter. I explained that the battery cables came right from the converter and the current doesn't pass through those breakers to charge the battery. He says I'm wrong. AM I??

Just say "OK" and change the subject. If he wants you to pay for the new converter, say "OK, pull it out of your camper and give it to me, and I will pay for it."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am 80 and have always helped others. Went bad a few times but l never let those stop me from helping someone else. What goes around comes around

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
2 many 2 wrote:

Etc., Etc..........

I am obviously a slow learner...............

:B :B

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
After several negative experience's helping friends and strangers, I finally learned my lesson after 40 years. Now I play ignorant, sorry, but that is how it is.

When I help someone change a tire and then they blame me because their car will not start, well, that was the end of it.............

When I jump start their car and then they blame me because the radiator is leaking, well, that was he end of it...........

When I changed a fuse for a stranded motorist and they blamed me because they ran out of gas, that was the end of it............

Etc., Etc..........

I am obviously a slow learner...............

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Some friend! No matter the outcome, be sure to let him know that asking for your help in the future will be a non-starter!

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
As said "plug in the old converter and test the 12v output. "

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Easy enough to plug in the old converter and see what happens.
Your friend is immensely ungrateful either way though..

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
He is probably correct that there is a circuit breaker. Best would have been a voltage check right at the converter. However since power was restored with a new converter the breaker could have had an intermittent fault. And now it is he said she said because you did not observe the work. And we still don't know exactly what was done during the swap or what breakers were replaced.

Otherwise it is on him for agreeing with you on the diagnosis.

Offer to buy the beer next trip...

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most likely answer, yes.
Plug in the old converter and test the 12v output.