cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No transmission stick

Jupiterssun
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so i am working on this 1977 dodge mobile Traveler. 318 and guessing a 727. Anyways went to check the Transmission fluid and what i found confused me it was not a dip stick but a rubber cap boot. And when i started to pulled it out it looked like a cable or hose so i just pushed it back in thinking it was a sensor or something. My question is how do i check the tranny fluid. Do i pull that cap and cable looking thing out. I was just expecting a dip stick like the oil. Thanks if you know give me a clue.
4 REPLIES 4

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
So I agree that the dipstck is a cable in some vehicles I have seen with a small metal or plastic post at the bottom of it that has the level indicating marks on it. But my question is : has any one had automatic trans dip stick (either flat or cable type) that won't stay all the way down. Mine keeps wont sit down and I think some moisture from condensation is getting in the tube and causing surface rust.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Jupiter,

That is it. Pull it out farther and may have either a set of beads for full and add or a short section of stick attached to end. Don't do this when wearing good cloths. There is a big reason that cable level indicators went out of fashion.

I wish my engine stick was a cable. It is a flat blade about five feet long and oily all the way. I is very easy to end up with it someplace you don't want it to be and very difficult to get it to go home.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Jupiterssun
Explorer
Explorer
Not really its more a hollow cigar over the tube. with a thick like rubber. And the tube is pretty much a straight shot. once i pulled the engine cover off ( dog house) I really didn't look to long the engine had been running and its Hot as hell out. But i will look again this time pull it out hope its a gauge. Thanks for your reply

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it something vaguely like this?

Various vehicles use wire rope rather than flat steel tape for the transmission dipstick, presumably because the routing from the top of the engine to the guts of the transmission is somewhat circuitous and a flat dipstick (which can only bend in one dimension) would get hung up on the way down.