cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Noctua NF-F12 Fan Install/Wiring For Frige

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I got the fan based on a recommendation here and am pleased with it thus far. This is obviously a plug and play for say a computer environment. It has four wires, two blue adjacent to each other, then one yellow, and lastly a black. So I want to hook up 12V direct and let it run at full speed. Questions?

Which wires to hook to 12V hot and ground for the RV application.

Is there some kind of neat way to plug in my power source into the female plug with out cutting the plug off and soldering the wires together?

What type of wire to run from the lower to upper frige rear compartment. Surely something off the shelf from the local auto store.

I had planned to run this fan continuously. However i am not opposed to installing a thermostat, but lack info on the on and off specs for a stat, where to mount it, and where to purchase one.

I would appreciate any input on my questions on the install. thanx
3 REPLIES 3

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gordon and Landyacht, I should be good to go now.

My fan came with a 12 inch extension. going to cut and splice on the end of it and keep the plug in tact on the fan.

Also learned a new term, "snap switch."

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem identifying which wires were just + and -, and E mailed Noctua. They linked a page showing where they list what is what, but now I cannot find it.

But not wanting to pull out my fridge to check, I found it elsewhere online and yellow is + and black is -

In October mine will have been mounted on my compressor fridge's condenser for 5 years, and my fridge rarely has seen voltages less than 12.1v and daily sees mid 14's. I am not sure what voltage the compresor controller allows to the fan though, the fridge can run on 12 or 24v but they say to use a 12v fan so the fan voltage is likely regulated to 12.0v and does not vary with battery voltage.

I have other Noctua fans, 60mm and 80mm, which have spent many hours up in the high 14's and occassionally higher when EQing a flooded battery, and even more time at 13.6v. I'd not stress the charging voltages, and at just 0.05 amps, I'd not really bother with a thermostat for it. but a snap switch would be what I would choose if I did.

https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-3F05-1-Adjustable-Snap-Control/dp/B000PY7T7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

The Noctua NF-f12 fan comes with two low noise adapter cables. If you want to keep the sleeved connector on the fan's lead, then I would sacrifice one LNA cable and cut and splice the wires on it, not including the resistor mid LNA cable.

The LNA's have a simple resistor on the power cable to reduce the voltage and slow the rpm's. I use them on a loud 'Addo' fan I pulled from a failed Wfco that pulls much more current ~ .22 amps at 12.6v, and while the resistor gets hot, not dangerously so. That fan exhausts my electrical cabinet and can also help vent my fridge if I choose to retain condenser heat inside( compressor fridge, no byproducts of combustion), otherwise I expel it outside vehicle instead.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure someone will come along and correct me shortly, but I'll take a stab.

Yellow will be your +12, black is ground. The two blue wires are tachometer output and speed control input. Fan should run at full speed without a speed control input. If it doesn't, you'll need to consult the instructions as to what sort of signal it's looking for.

Sounds like this a computer fan. Depending on if the chips inside are weak or not, it might not like the higher voltages an RV runs at compared to the smooth regulated 12.00 volts from a quality computer power supply. Someone else will likely correct me on that statement as well.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed