cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odd Brake Shoe Failure. Any Ideas?

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Since I'm retired, I like to keep busy and help family and friends with RV maintenance items from time to time. This time, I volunteered to inspect the brakes on my son's 12 year old pop up and repack the bearings for him. He had the brakes replaced about six years ago, and has maybe put 3000 miles on it during that time.

When I inspected the brakes, there were cracks running parallel to both rear brake shoes. I've seen brake shoes crack laterally before, but never radially like the ones pictured here:

I inspected the drums and they were within size tolerance and there were no hot spots indicated. Since they were okay, I don't think heat was the issue.

I've ordered replacement brake assemblies and will be installing them as soon as they arrive. BTW, the assemblies I ordered were self adjusting and not the cheap manual adjusting brakes he had.

Have any of you ever seen a similar failure? If so, is there a likely cause?

As a side note, I'm also going to replace his bearings, races and the cheap brake wire connectors you can see pictured in the photos.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
21 REPLIES 21

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
TucsonJim wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Typical of bonded shoes. Run them another 12 years.
Not with my grandchildren in the car he won't! Not to mention the safety of motorists around him.
Nothing wrong with new shoes, hardware etc.
Can you get shoes that are riveted instead of bonded?

As long as you are replacing most of it have you considered disk brakes?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
This only occurred on the secondary shoes (rearward ones) and NOT on smaller primary shoes??

Primary shoes get most of the heat due to being first to make contact and that contact force has to increase to activate rear shoe engagement

Were dust caps missing on bottom of drum?
Does your son do much dirt road/off road driving?
Seen similar scoring from dirt/grit but it was on ALL brake shoes.

Otherwise.....HEAT causes most cracking.

DId you have to back off adjuster a LOT to get drum off?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Not with my grandchildren in the car he won't! Not to mention the safety of motorists around him.

Jim

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
That makes sense ken. I was leaning towards a manufacturing defect in the brakes also. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing an underlying problem. I think turning the drums and replacing the brake components will resolve the issues.

As an aside, when he had the dealer change the brakes, they sold him a "life time" brake package. Unfortunately, the dealer (Beaudry RV) went out of business a couple of months later.

Jim

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just an aside. We found it cheaper and easier (by far) to just replace the whole brake assembly. I think it was $40. A could of bolts was all that holds it on.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, sort of. About 4 or 5 years ago I had to replace the pads on the E450, there were lines like that irregular shape and in the thickness, causing big chunks of pad material to flake off, pads were near new thickness, no signs of overheating but had to be replaced. Mechanic said that it was a defect or contaminate in Ford OEM pad material. Also about 25 years ago, we had to replace the pads on the Ford Ranger, big holes in the pad material, mechanic then said that it was not uncommon, again a contaminate, causing sections to dissipate.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.