cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil Choice

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Motorcraft Semi Synthetic 5w-30 in my motor home(Ford V10 - 1999)for several years. I am considering changing to Walmart,s full synthetic.

Price is nears the same. Any thoughts.

Thanks
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad
13 REPLIES 13

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
PatrickA51 wrote:
I use Motorcraft 5w/20w Semi-Synthetic in my 2005 E-450 6.8L Fleetwood.34,000 miles. I use Motorcraft 10w/30w Semi Synthetic in 1995 F-250 7.5L 198,000 miles (leaks more than it burns) I have never used anything different. I even use the 5w/20w in the Onan Microlight Generator. Let the flaming begin.

The Motorcraft oil is a very good oil according to the guys over at bobistheoilguy.com.

I have never used anything but the Ford Motor Company recommended oil. From the day I bought it. I have always used the filter that Ford Motor Company says to use,

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51 wrote:
I use Motorcraft 5w/20w Semi-Synthetic in my 2005 E-450 6.8L Fleetwood.34,000 miles. I use Motorcraft 10w/30w Semi Synthetic in 1995 F-250 7.2L 198,000 miles (leaks more than it burns) I have never used anything different. I even use the 5w/20w in the Onan Microlight Generator. Let the flaming begin.

The Motorcraft oil is a very good oil according to the guys over at bobistheoilguy.com.

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
I use Motorcraft 5w/20w Semi-Synthetic in my 2005 E-450 6.8L Fleetwood.34,000 miles. I use Motorcraft 10w/30w Semi Synthetic in 1995 F-250 7.5L 198,000 miles (leaks more than it burns) I have never used anything different. I even use the 5w/20w in the Onan Microlight Generator. Let the flaming begin.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Oil is always a popular topic.
After reading here went looking on the net to find the highest spec synthetic oil.
It is near impossible, or hard, to get past Mobil one and others confusing the issue with some hinting that Mobil One etc has some ester based oil in it. It's all baloney and misleading.
Nissan and others now require Ester based engine oils.
They are hard to find.
Here's my experience. I had a 79 Mustang Turbo. terrible performance stock but the all design was suitable for a raace car such as the brake drums drive shaft and original engine design before bean counter got hold of it. It had an adjustable waste gate, ported polished and o ringed head, unrestricted exhaust different head bolts etc after I finished with it. It would break the tires loose going into fourth gear. 454s etc were left in the dust. Ir ran ester based synthetic, I bought from and Exon Dealer but not branded Exxon. When I couldn't get it I though I was being smart and used a synthetic blend with Ester oil as the base. The dyno oil component broke down under the high eat of the turbo and formed what looked like carmelized sugar grains that ground the turbo shaft to junk.
Mercedes changes the oil in my AMG and uses Mobil One. I'm going to ask for real Ester based Synthetic oil, even though it may ccost 22.00 a quart, next time. I've been putting this off but time to see if I can find it. Dino oil is junk in comparison. Ester synthetic has a much thicker oil film at higher temperatures and will not break down until way past what destroys dino oi.

Turbos are a different animal. Yes, most of us know that even synthetics don't use groups four and five PAOs like they used to. And many have group three PAO in them.

More Info here-
Synthetic oils

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oil is always a popular topic.
After reading here went looking on the net to find the highest spec synthetic oil.
It is near impossible, or hard, to get past Mobil one and others confusing the issue with some hinting that Mobil One etc has some ester based oil in it. It's all baloney and misleading.
Nissan and others now require Ester based engine oils.
They are hard to find.
Here's my experience. I had a 79 Mustang Turbo. terrible performance stock but the all design was suitable for a raace car such as the brake drums drive shaft and original engine design before bean counter got hold of it. It had an adjustable waste gate, ported polished and o ringed head, unrestricted exhaust different head bolts etc after I finished with it. It would break the tires loose going into fourth gear. 454s etc were left in the dust. Ir ran ester based synthetic, I bought from and Exon Dealer but not branded Exxon. When I couldn't get it I though I was being smart and used a synthetic blend with Ester oil as the base. The dyno oil component broke down under the high eat of the turbo and formed what looked like carmelized sugar grains that ground the turbo shaft to junk.
Mercedes changes the oil in my AMG and uses Mobil One. I'm going to ask for real Ester based Synthetic oil, even though it may ccost 22.00 a quart, next time. I've been putting this off but time to see if I can find it. Dino oil is junk in comparison. Ester synthetic has a much thicker oil film at higher temperatures and will not break down until way past what destroys dino oi.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
So many vehicles go into Jiffy Lube or Rapid Oil type places and just get whatever
they have on tap. I'm not so sure if they even know what they have. But a clean
oil change is most likely better than some that rarely change their oil at all.

Just my thoughts, Brian

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Tachdriver wrote:
Found this interesting spec on oil specifications...

Clicky

It is important that you maintain the specification as your manufacturer recommends but I do have one question as I too have contemplated changing to synthetic...

Will changing to synthetic make my engine last longer, and or will I get better performance? :h

Changing to Synthetic oil will not make you motor last longer. Generally, motors do not "DIE" because of a oil related issue. Today's conventional oils are "light years" ahead of what was offered 20-or even 10 years ago.

It is strictly a personal preference unless dictated by the manufacturer. (Example GM's Dexos spec).

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
The Walmart culture is to beat their suppliers down to as low a cost as possible. My sole opinion is that this could very likely result in a corresponding reduction in quality. I can see what's in a can of string beans, but not in their gas or oil. This may be why some auto manufacturers are starting to list recommended gasoline brands in their owner's manuals. I had a cheap, skeptical, friend complain about the way his wife's Saturn was running. He filled up with some branded gas. Problem solved. I've got the popcorn in the microwave!

You need to spend time over at bobistheoilguy.com and you will see for yourself that your opinion on this particular oil is totally false.

Quote from site-
For whatever it's worth, the WM House Brand Full Syn is now GM4718m compliant. (Meets Corvette Specs). This is more than can be said for Castrol Syntec, Mobil Super Syn. Just had the oil changed on my Vette for $37.70 at Walmart including an AC/Delco filter and 6 qts of SuperTech.

Walmart Synthetic

More Info

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Found this interesting spec on oil specifications...

Clicky

It is important that you maintain the specification as your manufacturer recommends but I do have one question as I too have contemplated changing to synthetic...

Will changing to synthetic make my engine last longer, and or will I get better performance? :h

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Any reason for changing brands?

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
The Walmart culture is to beat their suppliers down to as low a cost as possible. My sole opinion is that this could very likely result in a corresponding reduction in quality. I can see what's in a can of string beans, but not in their gas or oil. This may be why some auto manufacturers are starting to list recommended gasoline brands in their owner's manuals. I had a cheap, skeptical, friend complain about the way his wife's Saturn was running. He filled up with some branded gas. Problem solved. I've got the popcorn in the microwave!
Currently Between RVs

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you go Here there has been discussions that indicate that Supertech is a decent oil in many of their weights. I use it in my snowblower now and may expand that in the future. Such as their gear oil, also received good reviews.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Does not that engine call for a 5w-20?

With motor oil opinions, you will get the Oil is oil guys, and the others.

Supertech oil is made by Warren Oil. Not sure who formulates motorcraft.

This thread should be interesting.

I use a quality synthetic, although I'm sure a quality conventional oil would do just as well in my usage and climate for less money. But a 15$ difference spread out over a year means little to me.