cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok to leave the black water tank 1/2 full while in storage?

precioustime
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always try to empty our black and gray water tanks before heading home to our storage. At times it doesn't always work out and we end up leaving the tanks half full, no more, and put the rv in storage. It is not there for too long, 2 months max. It is in storage in Miami, not a cool place in temperature. We always drop in the blue packets of tank deodorants every time we dump and fill up again with 1/4 of water. Is it bad to leave the black water tank 1/2 full for 2 months in storage?
32 REPLIES 32

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP

No. Never leave it for that long. As mentioned, it will dry out, become a hard mess and you'll have a dickens of a time trying to get that stuff out.

I like to dump after every trip, but sometimes, after a weekend and there is no good place to dump, and I know I'm going out the following weekend I will let it "stew" for a week.

At the end of the season, when I know we are not going out anymore, I will pay at the campground near us to dump. There, I can use their non potable water spigot to flush the black tank.

In cases where I'm not paying for a service, I will not use the black flush if anyone is in line to use the dump station.

But to repeat, don't let a half full black tank, or for that matter, any stuff in a black tank sit for as long as you are suggesting.

Except when I've winterized I will always put a couple of gallons of water in the black water tank. When I've winterized, I will put some anti-freeze in the black tank.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Does your storage facility have a dump station? Mine does, and it can come in handy. Maybe look for a storage place that does. Or - bring it home and use your sewer clean out.

But no way would I leave it for 2 months.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Sea_Six
Explorer
Explorer
Don't do it.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Before we full timed I did it once, tank was 1/2 to 3/4 full, put a 1/4 box of Rid-X in with some warm water. When I dumped and ran one flush cycle the next trip, the tank sensors work perfectly!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
That's gunna stink...........
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
well if you wan to pay to have someone replace a tank that is hard as nails go ahead

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
No!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Poop in your tank for an extended period in Miami, is that ok? You are kidding, correct?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
PU.......lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a trailer one time at a dealer where the owner did not dump his black tank after his last camping trip. I do not know how long it had been since his last trip. The holding tanks are vented to the outside, so over time the liquid in the tank will evaporate. When that happens the residue in the tank turns into a solid block of poop.

I see that you live in Miami, I would be very careful about how long it sits.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I've done it on accident before and not had an issue. I would not do it on purpose, but, uh, **** happens.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Sounds like a crappie idea to me

:S

185EZ
Explorer
Explorer
2 months doesn't seem that long
Boats leave it in longer than that
Why not try something like Rid X?
But what do I know. Most people tell me i'm full of ..it anyway lol

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No!!!
A buddy of mine did that and ended up with a petrified layer of cement like stuff on the bottom of his tank after a month of sitting. It was VERY hard (and nasty) to break up and flush out.
You want to drain it completley before storage.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Your just gonna cause a build up on your tank walls. Sounds like a crappie idea to me
Dennis Hoppert