cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok who knows there toilet/black tank systems

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Ok so the used camper I bought three years ago has and issue I havent been able to track down yet. so the toilet works perfect, tanks are good (I had to change the guts of the dump valve as it was weeping)
but I still have an issue

so when I am driving and pull over to use the washroom or when we get to the campground and I go to use the washroom right away it smells like a outhouse. this goes away and it is fine for as long as we are camping.

so it only happens when I am driving, the vents are closed when I am driving so its not getting sucked in the roof vents, the seal in the toilet holds water, and there is a little water in the bowl when I am driving.

any ideas where I should look next??

thanks
Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
19 REPLIES 19

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Before your next trip pour a cup of pine sol down your kitchen sink drain. Then run the tap and wash the pine sol out of the trap and into the gray tank. When you get to your destination you'll know if the smell is coming from the black or gray tank. (credit to Doug Rainer on this idea)
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw a post this week where someone solved his issue with black tank smells. He changed the floor seal and the toilet.!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
Water sucked out of drain traps
No water in drain traps
Vent under washroom sink stuck open, if equipped. air admittance style vent

I agree, it doesn't sound like the black tank could be the issue.

Easy to fill drain traps, including sinks and shower, when stopped. Does smell go away?

Jerry

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Yes probably an air admittance vent AKA cheater valve the is not longer a one-way valve. Available at Lowes or Home Depot for around $10
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Water sucked out of drain traps
No water in drain traps
Vent under washroom sink stuck open, if equipped. air admittance style vent

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker