cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan generator has power to solenoid but not control board

jimdmorrison
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys. I have an onan emerald plus 4000 generator. Was testing my new starter and hooked up the jumper cables to it wrong, frying everything. I have since replaced the starter, solenoid, and control panel.

Iโ€™m getting power to the solenoid and just 0.2 volts to jumper 7 on the wiring harness if I disconnect the control board. 11 is supposed to be power in, but thereโ€™s no power there. It looks like those cables go through a ground or something first.

Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Pray tell explain how reversed polarity would harm a starter motor? Even a permanent magnet gear reduction model......

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
B+ goes to k4 from the hot side of the solenoid and f2 is a 10 amp fuse between them.
http://www.skilledcrafting.com/onanfiles/965-0528%20Onan%20BGE%20(spec%20F-K)%20NHE%20(spec%20E-K)%2...

Where do I find the fuse?

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m looking in manual number 965-0528 supplement wiring diagram begin spec N
611-1244
Sent you a private message.

jimdmorrison
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel pump runs if I bypass the control board, but no power is getting to the board.

Thanks!

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll got out later this afternoon and do some testing on one I have on the bench before I say anything.
I would unhook the starter so it doesnโ€™t spin the motor when pushing the start button and start tracing power from the start solenoid with the start button pushed in and see where it goes and where it stops getting power. Tape the starter Wire up so it doesnโ€™t short to anything. You should be able to hear fuel pump running with the start button pushed in.

jimdmorrison
Explorer
Explorer
BGE

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Nhe or bge ?

jimdmorrison
Explorer
Explorer
6.5NHEFA26100M

It's a Onan 4000 4.0 BG E-F/A 26100P from 1998.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s the full model number

jimdmorrison
Explorer
Explorer
Could it be the voltage regulator?

jimdmorrison
Explorer
Explorer
Fuse is good. Solenoid is good. Power isnโ€™t getting to the control board at all so switch doesnโ€™t do anything.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a fuse on the board. You have 12 v at the solenoid what about coming out of the solenoid while pushing the start button. What solenoid did you buy it has to be the right one ?