cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Generator will not stay running

vtxtravels
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Onan 4BGEFA26100J generator. I can start the generator outside and it starts and runs fine. If I try to start it at the remote location, it starts, but as soon as I release the spring loaded button the generator stalls. If I rock it to start and as soon as the generator starts I flip it to the stop position and hold it there it will remain running until I release the button. I have metered the switch and wiring. I get an open reading in the neutral (center) position between all 3 wires. When I rock the switch into the start position I get contact closure between the red and brown wires. When I rock the switch to the stop position I get a contact closure between the red and green wires. I can only assume this is correct. Anyone have any suggestions?
1 REPLY 1

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar situation and found the following. The rocker switch at the generator was full of dust and dirt and was not returning to the neutral position when it was used to either start or stop the generator. It was hardly noticeable that it was not properly at rest.
After seeing the difference and cleaning the switch with some electrical contact cleaner and allowing it to go to its true rest position everything worked as advertised. As you might have guessed the inoperable switch prevented the interior switch from doing its job.
Check it out.
jwmII