cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parallel MC4 Connectors???

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
What is the consensus (big word!) on which style of parallel connector for mc4 solar is better?? Or all equal??

The solid one piece plastic unit or the y-style cabled unit???

Tanks ahead for comments!!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles
5 REPLIES 5

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
I use the connector, less loss then 6 feet of "y" cable that is usually 12 AWG.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When i finally get going on solar will most likely use something like this knowing the the typical solar panels only produce 5-6AMPS DC current.

After combining a bunch of panels then you will want some larger cable wise to prevent losses.

The final cable going between the solar panel controller box and the battery terminals would have to be a pretty large size conductor I imagine depending how long it turns up being....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MC4 is a good system of connection, very weather resistant and mine appear very durable. They are using a good grade of UV resistant plastic, I'm guessing. That said, a metal connecting bus with good fastener retention is hard to beat. It mainly boils down to how you're connecting the MC4 cables and in what location.

FWIW, I used a plastic conduit fitting on the roof and connected MC4 inside that. I have future plans for a parallel module addition, though, and a roof-top combiner box fit that use well.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I assume it is all the same. Just logistics on what works best for your install.

RoyB, thanks had not seen the 4x & 5x

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of MC4 connections shown here...

MC4 CONNECTIONS

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS