cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paralleling Two Generators

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I have two different brands of Inverter generators, both with parallel connection, a Champion 3500I & a Yamaha 2000I. Can two different brands be use together in parallel? I'm not much of an electric guy but wouldn't the give me 5500 Watts and the ability to run more appliances with out over loading??
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold
9 REPLIES 9

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I worked a good chunk of my life at a power plant and bringing a generator online (we had two units)was done manually with sync lights, sync scope and closing a pistol grip switch which closed a large high voltage breaker out in the switch yard. Yeah it was that basic.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Here's a chart from, and a link to the Honda bulletin that spells out the serial numbers when paralleling a EU2000i and a EU2200i.

Link to PDF

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Please read if are considering connection two AC sources.
https://www.quora.com/If-we-connect-two-AC-sources-of-an-unequal-voltage-to-each-other-will-the-high...
"AC is complicated. We need to think about frequency and phase along with voltage. Power plants have circuit specially designed to synchronize two sources.
Two AC sources with mismatching frequency and phase can cause a short circuit. "
AC is complicated to some people, and not complicated to others. The synchronization part is pretty simple to understand. Parallel capable inverter gensets also have circuitry to synchronize the sources, so complicated or not, the user doesn't have to understand it. In theory, any parallel capable, self syncing inverter genset should synchronize to another. Whether the sources play well together in terms of load balancing is a different question. Some combinations will play well while others won't. With every manufacturer warning to parallel a particular genset with only specific makes and models, any failed experiments are the responsibility of he who experiments.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say there is no absolute "yes you can" or "no you can't" answer. It's going to depend on the two generators and how they are designed to sync.

In fact, even with the honda's, you CANNOT sync ALL honda 2000's with the new honda 2200. there is a serial number break on the 2000 which below if you try to parallel with the 2200 honda says you will get low voltage output and possibly damage BOTH generators.

To be safe, only parallel generators that are spec'd to be paralleled with each other. Or take your chances and as Clint says "Do you feel lucky?"
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this YouTube video:

Paralleling two different generators
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
About all I can say is try it. Of course, one or both may not like it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please read if are considering connection two AC sources.
https://www.quora.com/If-we-connect-two-AC-sources-of-an-unequal-voltage-to-each-other-will-the-high...
"AC is complicated. We need to think about frequency and phase along with voltage. Power plants have circuit specially designed to synchronize two sources.
Two AC sources with mismatching frequency and phase can cause a short circuit. "
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Take care of momentary overloads by using a hybrid inverter/charger such as a Victron 5000 or dual hybrid inverter chargers.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
It might be possible to parallel the two different brands depending on the parallel kit wire connections. There is something about that on the Champion web site, so ask them about your proposed combo.

No, you cannot just add the watts even with the same brand and the same size. It goes with the lower watt one what the parallel kit receptacle can pass along. (also there is the actual running watts, not what the gen is named at)

With two the same watts, you get less than the total out--it is false to say (as they advertise) that you "double" what you can get with one.

EG, Briggs and Stratton says in their manual for the P2200 (I have that one):

P2200 + P2200 = 3,000w output
P2200 + P3000 = 3,000w output
P3000 + P3000 = 4,800w output

So it must be due to the parallel kit itself that is used. Champion does say using a big gen with a little gen is possible but not "optimum". Perhaps that is like with the 2200 + 3000 above, where you have to go with the lower one.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.