cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Practical use of solar

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have always thought that solar would be a nice mod to make and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here about solar. However, I'd like to hear your thought processes before you did this mod. Is there some basic requirements before going to solar? How many days do you camp in a row before you need solar power. If you camp in NF's CG's most of the time how do you get sun? Those that have made this mod do most of you camp out west? Are most of you full time? 90% of the camping I do is dry camping but I always run out of water before I run out of battery power.
45 REPLIES 45

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to be remote to camp off-grid. We spent 3 weeks of June dry camping in state and federal parks. It was great to have solar keeping our batteries charged. We finally went to a commercial campground for a night to do laundry. Power went out for five hours in the town, including the campground. No problem for us.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

ken_white
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need solar if you never camp off-grid, but for those of us that like remote and quiet camping, solar is a necessity.

Adding a small inverter generator to supply power when the site or weather limit solar production is a plus too.

Solar can be added in stages, but design your system for what you would like to have and then scale the number of panels or batteries back and upgrade as needed. Make sure the controller and cabling can handle the upgrades though.
2014 RAM C&C 3500, 4x4, Club Cab, Hauler Bed, DRW, Aisin, 3.73's, etc...

2013 DRV Tradition 360 RSS
LED Lighting
570W of ET Solar Panels
MorningStar MPPT 45
Wagan 1000W Elite Pro Inverter
Duracell EGC2 Batteries with 460 A-H Capacity

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it's snowing in Jellystone again today
Glacier's "Going to the Sun Road" will not open until mid July this year snowing there as well - big time floods be prepared for mosquitoes

Cost Justify Solar as Mena said earlier is kind of like cost justifying your RV
Darn few folks if any can do that, it's a decision from the heart not the head

Love my 550watts of PV solar and plan on adding more in the near future
Guess there might be a limit however for now the more solar the better

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Snowed in Yellowstone about a week ago, Tuesday and Wednesday. Just got back... fly fishing was mighty fine.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
Gjac wrote:
smkettner wrote:
Gjac wrote:
90% of the camping I do is dry camping but I always run out of water before I run out of battery power.
I would focus on the water supply and conservation first. The three of us can go a week with our 50 gal on board supply.

For me the excess solar gives DW comfort that we don't have to plug in so much.
So it is different for everyone.
I have 60 gals of FW and It lasts about a week if there is no other water sources around. After a week my 2 Sam's Club batteries will be around 50 % SOC. I don't need the genset to recharge the batteries for the week. I was just wondering how many days in a row do you dry camp before you decided you needed solar power? From some replies it sounds like some decided because needing/wanting 120v conveniences like TV,etc.
In one location about a week max. Yes we use lights (LED), tv, microwave (inverter), furnace etc as we like. The battery will about go indefinitely. Although we have camped in the trees where we get maybe 2 hours of sun so the extra power helps.

Previous to solar the battery was getting depleted and I was loathe to run the generator among the tent campers. Also had issues with the dreaded WFCO not charging as expected. I have left the generator at home for the past 3 years. Have not needed it. If I need air I am looking for hookups.

Planning 3 week trip this summer with about 10 days in Yellowstone. Will be happy to have no battery issues. En route will be hot so we will be plugged in.

What ever makes it fun for you... go for it.
I hope to take my grand son to Yellowstone this summer if every thing works out.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
My idea of saving water is taking a shower to get all the grime and circus mud off of me just before going to bed, to help keep the sheets clean. Wash cloth and hot water on face, hair, neck and the upper smelly parts in the morning with a dash of soap. Whole enchilada just before bed time.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Clothes washing? If you have solar, hook up to a motor snd/or a pump and make your own machine. Heck, putting clothes in a capped bucket with soapy water will get a lot of cleaning done while underway. I use my "wife-option" for my clothes.

If I was "baching" it, a pair of Marine drill shorts, some T-shirts and a pair of tennis shoes would be the uniform of the day, and was for many years.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Washboard.
Used those before. Clothes don't last long. At least not my definition of last long (10 years minimum). Unless you're into minimalist living, I don't see the point in that. Besides, like Gjac mentioned, there is clothing better suited to minimalist lifestyles.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
NinerBikes wrote:
Gjac wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Gjac,

Longevity of the battery bank. (provided the solar is properly sized).
This and BFL13's make the most sense to me. My current routine is a week at one place at most. No need for generator, but out of water and need to dump and fill anyways. Need to wash clothes and bed sheets so go to a campground with washer, dryer and electric to charge batteries with 40 amp B&D charger over night. Can't think of a practical way to get around laundry and water after a week. How do you guys get around this(that your wife agrees to)?

In my case, wife was optional, I decided to forgo that option.
After 46 years I don't have your option, but being a backpacker when younger I have "universal shorts" that I hike,bike,fish,and occasionally run in(after 500mg of Ibuprofen). After a swim/bath I hang them out to dry. I got by with 3 pairs of shorts and 5 tee shirts on my 3 mo trip to Alaska but no so with my wife. Cool Max and nylon dry quickly.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Awww heck, just go to a nude resort and don't worry. Be happy. ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Better Than Nothing Clothes Washing.

Eqpt.

2 five gallon buckets
Detergent
Good Novel

Fill buckets halfway with clothes.
Add water to 3/4 full
Add detergent
Remove shoes and socks. Roll up pants legs
Stand in buckets
Begin marching in place
Read novel
After 3 chapters of marching in place, rinse.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
mena661 wrote:
I'm interested. How are they doing it?

Washboard.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Heartily Agree. Like a telephone plan - cancellation imposes substantial fees and penalties.

PRICE LIST BARBIE DOLLS

Plain Barbie $19.95

Barbie With Beach and Bridal Collection $ 39.95

Divorced Barbie $795.66

"WHAT? Why does the divorced Barbie cost so much? That's ridiculous!"

NO IT ISN'T

The divorced Barbie, comes with house, Ken's car, Ken's Bank account, Ken's stock certificates, Ken's fishing cabin and boat, Ken's motorhome, clothes, furniture, and an essential part of Ken's anatomy, surgically removed.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:

Again, there is a way around this, with way less water and zero electricity, I've seen it in Mexican homes, but I doubt that you will want to do it this way, and 99.9% positive that your wife won't like doing it either.
I'm interested. How are they doing it?