cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pressure washer

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am going to buy a gas pressure washer for assorted cleaning, which includes some parts of the TT (hitch area, lower cladding,wheels, etc.) which won't be damaged.

What brand do you recommend? I am looking at about 2700psi in the $300 price range.

I have researched online and most of them have mixed reviews. The one with the best reviews seems to be the Generac 2700psi which is available at Lowes for $299. Lowes no longer carries it in the store, but they have free shipping. It looks like about 90% positive reviews for this one, while most others are closer to 50% positive. The only negative thing about Generac seems to be their customer service according to owners. Lowes sells a 3 year service plan for $39. While I usually pass on the service plans, I might get this one based on friends' pressure washers that have had pump failures.

Any suggestions?

Steve
18 REPLIES 18

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
My hint is to use a large ONE MICRON pleated water filter on the inlet side. School of Hard Knocks Plus Emptied Wallet Dept.

This is one I have not heard of before, but it makes sense.

Any particles in the water could cause accelerated pump wear if they are larger than clearances in the pump.

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone.

After having thousands of tools for many years, I have learned to ask for advice on any new tools I have not owned before instead of assuming I know it all.

Steve

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My hint is to use a large ONE MICRON pleated water filter on the inlet side. School of Hard Knocks Plus Emptied Wallet Dept.

Happy_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Honda engine on mine. To protect the pump it says not to start the engine until you connect the water hose and pull the trigger to get water in the pump.

Good luck
Travel Safe - Enjoy
Happy Jim
1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer
2006 Chevy HHR Toad

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
If the pw is straining when you let off the the trigger then the unloader is not working properly.

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raften wrote:
Gotta say that after owning a Generac generator I would never buy anything from Generac again.

I have a Troy Built that I am pleased with. When you do get it buy some extra O rings for the hose.

What was the problem with Generac?

Was it the product quality or bad customer service?

I agree that the pump quality is the key factor in longevity, but the cat pump units are too expensive for me. I looked at just the cat pump prices at Northern tool and they are more than I want to spend on the whole PW. I usually spend the extra for high quality but I just can't afford it here.

I have borrowed friends' PWs and noticed the strain it puts on the pump/engine when you release the trigger on the sprayer with the PW running. One of the PWs even stalled sometimes. I would tend to avoid doing that even though there would be a little more waste of water. I imagine the more expensive PWs have some sort of bypass to prevent the pump/engine from straining.

Like I said before, I almost never buy the service plans but I might in this case as several friends have had pump failures on their lower-cost PWs.

Steve

DSchmidt_2000
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a quality pump vs motor.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ryhed wrote:
I bought a honda powered 3000 psi from home depot in 2000. Used it every day for six hours for five years. I had the pump rebuilt once, cat pump, and it starts first pull every time still. I just got done washing the back of my house and patio. The thing you need to be concerned with other than a good motor is a good pump. I use cat pumps. maintenance it regularly, which for me is just changing the pump oil. Never ever buy a karcher, sears or other cheap models, the pump will fail. Ive been using power washers for 19 years with my company and rarely do the good ones fail, belt driven, when they do its usually after 5000 hours when stuff starts to break down. We use those pumps on heavy industrial jobs, go figure, they get abused.
This is my experience, too. Unfortunately, the bigger Cat pump models are too expensive for the average homeowner.

I bought a Karcher with Honda engine about seven years ago. It sees mild duty, a couple of house or deck cleanings every summer and my own stuff around the residence. Besides a stuck regulator, it has been problem free.

One thing these entry level PW's don't like is sending cleaning solution through the pickup tube, if so equipped. It's better to apply soap or degreaser with a handheld sprayer and save the wear on the pressure washer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta say that after owning a Generac generator I would never buy anything from Generac again.

I have a Troy Built that I am pleased with. When you do get it buy some extra O rings for the hose.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have pieced together several of my own pressure washers to get the best gpm/psi for my kind of work and end up with much better quality. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

retired4fun2002
Explorer
Explorer
Have a neighbor who will give you a quick deal on a Troy-Bilt...that bad for him!! I had a Karcher for years, it died, and I bought the Pressure-Pro, and it has the Honda GX-390, and General Pump - wow!! Honda's may cost more, but they will be around for years...and there are places to go to get service. Safe travels.

ryhed
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a honda powered 3000 psi from home depot in 2000. Used it every day for six hours for five years. I had the pump rebuilt once, cat pump, and it starts first pull every time still. I just got done washing the back of my house and patio. The thing you need to be concerned with other than a good motor is a good pump. I use cat pumps. maintenance it regularly, which for me is just changing the pump oil. Never ever buy a karcher, sears or other cheap models, the pump will fail. Ive been using power washers for 19 years with my company and rarely do the good ones fail, belt driven, when they do its usually after 5000 hours when stuff starts to break down. We use those pumps on heavy industrial jobs, go figure, they get abused.

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I am going to order the Lowes Generac PW that I described earlier.

Steve

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Personally I would care less about paying the buckos for a Honda motor. My briggs still runs like after 14 years. They don't get many hours on them normally.

Just a thought

I fully agree. A Briggs will last longer than the pump if the oil is changed regularly and the air filter is changed before it becomes extremely dirty. Now if I was buying a washer for commercial use, then definitely I would highly consider a Honda engine.

Ray

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TroyBilt with Briggs and Stratton engine. 7 years and still going strong. I think it is 2500psi, but not sure, but it does plenty good and you still have to be very careful with it so as not to damage what you are cleaning.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."