cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Priming Honda 2000 after draining carb: when is it primed?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I store the generator with the carb drained. The next time I have to start the generator, I have to pull the rope slowly a number of times until the carb is primed.

Is there a way to know when enough is enough? How do I know when to switch from long slow priming pulls to fast hard starting pulls? Right now, I do it by trial and error, which is inefficient.

And yes, I have researched this issue and have come up empty.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
15 REPLIES 15

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
NinerBikers, Where did you come up with that starting procedure? If that works, I might consider draining fuel when I don't need the unit for a few months.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care which model you have. Unless you live out in the boonies, and non city areas and KNOW you are getting and buying ethanol free gasoline, drain the carb bowl of all fuel, leave the switch for fuel and spark on the "off" position, turn on the choke, leave it on, and pull the starter cord 4 or 5 times, to suck all the fuel out of the jets, before storage.

If you want to start it up easily, leave the top vent in the closed position, turn the switch to the "ON" position, rock the motor back and forth 3 or 4 times, wait 10 seconds, then pull the starter cord, with the choke on. I always start in "eco" mode on. Once running, open up the vent to the "on" position on the fuel cap, let it warm up for 120 seconds, then plug in what you want to run.

I always warm my motor up before putting it under any load. Common sense.

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
If you are a full timer, you probably use the generator and do not need to drain the gas. If you are not a full timer, what do you do about snowblowers, weed whips, chain saws, lawn movers and leaf blowers? I use stabilizer and have not had any issues. I always use stabilizer even if I do not plan on storage.

My one data point on that issue was several years ago with one of our EU 1000s that I left with (Stabil added) fuel in the tank and about a year later when I checked it out for another dry camping trip it would not run without the choke on. I tried running it for several hours with a high concentration of Seafoam and then letting it sit overnight but it did not help. Off it went to the Honda dealer for an emergency carb job before we left for our trip. Since that experience I only leave stabilized fuel in it for no longer than a month without draining the tank and carb.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are a full timer, you probably use the generator and do not need to drain the gas. If you are not a full timer, what do you do about snowblowers, weed whips, chain saws, lawn movers and leaf blowers? I use stabilizer and have not had any issues. I always use stabilizer even if I do not plan on storage.

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
JamesJudasPriest wrote:
I don't know about why this is important?

My honda 2000 with a drained carb starts in 2 pulls after storage season?

I have two EU 2000s and two EU 1000s and none of mine start without at least 10 pulls after draining the tank and the carb. After they are started the first time they usually start on the first pull.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is one reason I will stick with periodic use and stabilizer. I still remember the dealer trying to prime and start my Honda for the first time. It took a lots and lots of pulls on the rope.

JamesJudasPries
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about why this is important?

My honda 2000 with a drained carb starts in 2 pulls after storage season?

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The procedure outlined by Leroy should be modified somewhat.

Cap vent CLOSED.
Engine switch ON.
Shake side to side.
Cap vent OPEN.
Choke ON.
Pull rope till it starts.

Lynnmor,

YOU ARE CORRECT. That is how I do it. I typed the directions wrong. The engine switch needs to be ON while shacking so the fuel is forced into the carburetor.

LeRoy

Edit: I went back up to my original post and made the correction.
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The procedure outlined by Leroy should be modified somewhat.

Cap vent CLOSED.
Engine switch ON.
Shake side to side.
Cap vent OPEN.
Choke ON.
Pull rope till it starts.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm. Lots of different opinions, which tells me that there might not be a definite answer??

Next time I start it up after draining the carb, I will have to count the pulls needed to feed fuel into the carb.

I should add that once I have used the generator and I do not drain the carb, it starts on the first or second pull, even if it is cold.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
romore wrote:
You can open the drain valve until clear fresh gas comes out, close it then pull normally.

Are you sure? It has a fuel pump. I would think the only way is to pull and pull. Other than to pressurize the tank, or to squirt a little some into the carb inlet.

I don't think so either. I put the engine switch in the ON position, leave the fuel cap vent lever in the OFF position, and shake or rock the gen set side to side vigorously for about 10 seconds. This rocking causes the gas to expand and push itself into the carburetor. Now turn the fuel cap vent lever to the ON positions, set the CHOKE to FULL ON and PULL once; Wait 10 seconds, PULL again. Mine usually starts. If not wait another 10 seconds and PULL again.

LeRoy

Edit: I noted that the engine switch needs to be in the ON position while shaking the gen set.
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
How do I know when to switch from long slow priming pulls to fast hard starting pulls?
I know because I can hear it try to start even on a slow pull. Then I fast pull.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, once you empty the bowl you have to pull the starter cord until the pump fills the bowl again. This seems to take 12~18 pulls. It may self fill if the pump stops in just the right place but I doubt it.
Dont bother trying to "prime it". Just turn everything on and pull until it starts.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
romore wrote:
You can open the drain valve until clear fresh gas comes out, close it then pull normally.

Are you sure? It has a fuel pump. I would think the only way is to pull and pull. Other than to pressurize the tank, or to squirt a little some into the carb inlet.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.