cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with bedroom slide out UPDATED

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Please see my post on page two where I detail what the solution was!

I went back over to the storage yard to verify what type of system that I have and it is the Lippert system. I attached a photo of what the controller looks like. I had my wife depress the button to put the slide out and facing the slide from inside the unit the right hand side went out a few inches and the left did not move at all. To me this means that the issue is most likely with the motor on the left. I am assuming this because the controller did power the right side motor. Is this a valid assumption?

I have two controllers in the same location. They are mounted in the front storage compartment on the ceiling. One is for the living room slide and the other is for the problem bedroom slide. Any idea on how to tell which is which? Of course they are not labeled.

Actual controllers

One thought I had was to plug the wires from the bedroom controller into the living room controller and see if the bedroom side would work or not. If it doesn't then it is the motor if it does then it is the controller. Is this a good or bad idea and why?

I am going to try and reset the controller and look for any error codes according to the documentation I have before I do anything else. If I need a controller it is around $300 on eBay and the motor is $367 on the Lippert website. If it is the controller I can replace that myself but if it is the motor I am going to need a RV shop to address it.

Any other ideas are appreciated!

Original Post
I started the process of opening up our 5th wheel today and after taking the cover off and putting in a freshly charged battery I started testing various things.

The bedroom slide out only goes out a few inches and no further. I was able to get it back in. I tried several times with the same result. It is in now and sealed. The slide has not been out since last November.

I don't have any idea how to troubleshoot this. With the slide in there is no access to anything and when out the bottom is sealed with a weather resistant cover. There are tracks on each side that the system uses.

Any thoughts on how I might troubleshoot this? I was thinking of having someone push on it while the button is pressed but I don't want to get into a situation where it gets stuck partway open.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
12 REPLIES 12

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here,

Wanted to provide an update on the slide issue. I did research that stated it could be the cable to the motor OR the motor itself.

I ordered a cable and motor on eBay (Lippert wants $426 on their website OUCH). Motor was $85 and 15 foot cable $50.

Replaced the cable first and it solved the problem. Entire fix took about 15 20 minutes. I was really expecting the motor to be bad as there was absolutely no visible damage to the cable at all.

I have decided to keep the motor since I have 4 of these motors on my 5th wheel.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Dave

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
wa8yxm wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
1. Controllers rarely fail

That has not been my expierence

Yes, because like most of your post's, you have no clue how RV systems operate. I am sure you are constantly repairing Schwintek systems.:R Unlike me. I have repaired and fix correctly hundreds of Schwinteks over the years. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
1. Controllers rarely fail

That has not been my expierence
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dpgllg wrote:
OP Again,

I went back over and did more troubleshooting. I am getting 8 RED and 2 GREEN flashes' on the controller. According to what is printed on my controller it means "wire short between controller and motor" for motor number 2.

I did some more searching and found that this could still be one of two things. Either the wire between the controller and motor is bad or according to Lippert the motor could be defective and need replaced.

How can I determine which is bad? Please remember I have very little knowledge of electronics etc. so any responses need to be in everyday terms so a simpleton like me can understand.

Dave

Dave

You first have to determine which is Motor 1 and which is Motor 2. The easiest way is to disconnect the Motor 1 plug at the controller. Activate the slide room in override like I stated previously. See which motor runs. The motor that does NOT run is motor 1.
Now, the best way to determine motor or cable problem is to have a 25 foot replacement cable. Just run it inside on the floor from the controller to the Motor 2 quick plug on the controller and disconnect the wire harness from the Motor 2 wire plug and plug in the new test harness. Activate the slide room. IF it operates correctly you have a bad shorted/open cable. Replace the cable with the new one you purchased. IF it does NOT operate correctly, then order a new motor and replace it. You can get a replacement cable for about $80 from most online suppliers. Another way is to trace the cable from controller to motor and see where it is cut/pinched. But, you still need a new cable. Doug

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Again,

I went back over and did more troubleshooting. I am getting 8 RED and 2 GREEN flashes' on the controller. According to what is printed on my controller it means "wire short between controller and motor" for motor number 2.

I did some more searching and found that this could still be one of two things. Either the wire between the controller and motor is bad or according to Lippert the motor could be defective and need replaced.

How can I determine which is bad? Please remember I have very little knowledge of electronics etc. so any responses need to be in everyday terms so a simpleton like me can understand.

Dave

Dave

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. SCHWINTEK Controllers rarely fail
2. Most common problem is a bad cable between the controller and the motor
3. LOOK at your controller. See where it says Status LED's? Inside that hole is a small white plastic button. push that button with a ink pen 8 to 10 times in a row and then HOLD the button. Once both LED lights start flashing, operate the slide room button. That bypasses the control and puts 12 volt power to BOTH motors. See if both operate together. If they do, wait 5 minutes for the controller to time out and then operate the slide. When it fails look at those LED lights and the flashes will tell you which motor has a fault and what the fault is. It is on the controller label. Doug

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here

I placed an update in my original post so please review that

Dave

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
And then the other one has a rack and pinion :))
Find the motor and check for 12 volts while running
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Schwintek systems have "Wavy" metal strips on the side (Front and back as you go down the road) of the slide out

Accu-Slide has cables

Power gear has a toothed rail under the slide out I know the last two can not help with the first.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Is it a Schwintek slideout system? If so, plenty of troubleshooting videos on the Internet.

I believe it is and I found a Troubleshooting document on the Grand Design website. If it doesn't rain I'll try and go over tomorrow and start troubleshooting.

Dave

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Is it a Schwintek slideout system? If so, plenty of troubleshooting videos on the Internet.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know where the slide controller is mounted? Usually close by, in a lower storage compartment. There are several videos about troubleshooting slide problems, and they usually start with checking the lights on the controller, and interpreting them into fault codes.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)