cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Tank - Laying down for transport?

Rickhuntfish
Explorer
Explorer
Can I transport a 20lb propane tank on its side in my 5th wheel basement? I know I will have to secure it from rolling around, but the height with it standing up is the issue I have.
21 REPLIES 21

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Beside safety it isn't good for the float valve. The next time your at an rv place where they fill cylinders, ask them and they can show you how easily the valve can be damaged internally from the liquid sloshing around. Note this is for the older style. He said they have a newer type that isnt as likely to be damaged but I don't see any way to tell which kind it is unless the valve is removed..
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
SaltiDawg wrote:
I'm not an RVer, but do RVs ever get stopped for an Inspection as some trucks do? If so, that may be a problem with a horizontally mounted propane cylinder.

It should only be mounted horizontally if it is actual horizontal cylinder like used in some truck campers.

And the only inspection might occur at some tunnels/ferries where it is required to be valved out.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:
I'm not an RVer, but do RVs ever get stopped for an Inspection as some trucks do? If so, that may be a problem with a horizontally mounted propane cylinder.
I have never been stopped since we started rving in '82.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Rickhuntfish wrote:
Can I transport a 20lb propane tank on its side in my 5th wheel basement?

Not safely.

Doing so will disable the safety mechanisms built in for your protection.

If you're just wanting to carry some backup propane, you might consider an 11-lb. vertical like this one. Same width as the twenty, under a foot tall, a little over half the capacity. Enough to give you a couple days to fill your main tanks, and easy to store. I bought one for the same purpose and it's worked very well for me.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The following is from 'propane101.com'

Position of LP Gas Cylinders In Storage

Propane cylinders should always be positioned so that their relief valve is in direct communication with the vapor space of the container. Cylinders that are stored vertically upright will have the relief valve communicating with vapor space. Regarding the cylinder relief valve, it is important to keep the safety relief valve pointed away from anything that escaping propane could come in contact with possibly causing a fire or accident. If cylinders are stored improperly, such as on their side with the relief valve in contact with propane liquid and the safety relief valve opens for any reason, liquid will be escaping instead of vapor posing a much greater danger. In short, be sure the relief valve is communicating with the vapor space of the tank. All consumer propane cylinders should be stored vertically upright in all circumstances.

A 'vertical' propane cylinder should always be vertical......filling, in use, transporting, storage

Not everyone does........you decide if risk/benefit is worth it.

Why not secure it in bed of truck?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
That would not be a good idea. If the pressure in the tank causes the relief valve to open liquid propane will be expelled instead of gas. When the liquid then evaporates much more gas will be in the compartment than would be there if gas were expelled.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y