Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Q: Epever/Tracer MPPT 30 programming

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question is in the very last line.
I killed my Rogue MPPT. Bought Epever 3210AN with built-in display for $CAD 140. What a pain...

1st surprise - display can only switch between preset modes Sealed, Gel, User, the latter means adjustable, but - can't adjust without cable and laptop. I'm spoiled after Rogue, programming was straightforward without laptop.

2nd surprise - cable was not included. Manual in "understandable" Chinglish shows cable with 2 connectors - USB and RJ45 (i.e. USB to ethernet). Alright, bought a generic cable USB to ethernet. Plugged in, installed their software and USB driver, entered battery setpoints, clicked Update.

3rd surprise - software responds "Station doesn't exist". Clicked on the tab Station, entered some names (there was country China and city Zoo initially, I'm serious). Clicked Add Station. Nope. Station still "doesn't exist".

4th suprise - Read-me file shows a screen for USB driver installation very different from what I see, and explains that "their" USB-RJ45 cable exists in 2 different models with slightly different procedures for USB driver installation.

In "Accessories" their USB-RJ45 cable is called USB to RS485. Hmm... I looked up RS485 - it is a "converter" with some chip embedded into.
So, can't use a generic USB-RJ45 cable?
7 REPLIES 7

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
You guys are right, it apparently needs the exact specified cable normally supplied with controller. Found an old Youtube video for a previous version of Epever, it shows how to use a generic ethernet cable with RS485 adapter - requires some soldering because the leads are wired differently.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
when the instructions fail try youtube lots of programing videos available for them i have the mt-50 plus i got the proper usb to ethernet cable with my controller.
and i added a wifi module to mine.
a bluetooth module is also available.
i use a non powered 4 position ethernet switch to switch between the 3 control points i have.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
afidel wrote:
Forget PC programming, get the MT50. It's apparently WAY easier than the PC program and gives you a remote screen.

^ this
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Just because a cable is physically an RJ45 cable does not mean it is an ethernet cable. In this case RS485 is a variety of 'serial port' interface, not ethernet. You need a USB to RS485 adapter and hope that it wasn't damaged by the ethernet adapter. Or you could cut your losses and get a quality MPPT controller like a Victron.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
In case you don't get that sorted out, you might be ok with the standard program. I have the Tracer MPPT and just use it as is. It does Bulk until it reaches the Absorption voltage for the selected type of battery and stays there two hours and then drops to Float. For Li, suggest the AGM Vabs.

That happens to be right for our set-up at 49N from May to Oct, so I don't need to change any settings. I did find it difficult to set the battery type where you can tell you got the right type until later when you see what voltage it goes to. I wish the display had a back-light, but a flashlight can help if needed.

Of course it depends on the size of your bank wrt the solar amps you get and your usage whether the two-hour Absorption Stage is ok for your scenario. Using the inverter for supper can knock the voltage down so the controller will go back to Bulk after supper, which can help some.

I like my Tracer. It is not a "cheapo".
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't really want a remote display MT-50 and the manual says that MT-50 doesn't support Li batteries.
Initially planned to buy Renogy Rover, it is programmed on display without any cable but they have run out of stock. If this issue with Station that "doesn't exist" won't get resolved, I will return Epever. Wasted several hours on it, and Amazon.ca will probably charge return shipping (they often do).

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget PC programming, get the MT50. It's apparently WAY easier than the PC program and gives you a remote screen.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH