cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question For AGM Battery Owners...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Are there folks out there who have decided they do not like AGM batteries and believe their AGM battery purchase was a mistake, and should have purchased standard flooded lead acid batteries instead?

There is a whopper of a price difference amp hour versus amp hour and I am curious to note if anyone at all believes their selection was a mistake. Hopefully positive testimonials will not avalanche the responses, nor will hypothetical dislikes cloud the query...

VALUE is the issue here. Plain and simple...
72 REPLIES 72

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
4 225Ah 6V AGMs here (generic/Chinese ones I believe). Have not regretted them at all, other than maybe having bought more batteries than I really need ๐Ÿ™‚

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pair of 300AH Lifelines that are great but they are only a year old, so time will tell.

I went AGM so I could relocate them into the trailer, small vented box, and not have to check levels all the time. The 300AH is also quite nice.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an Optima AGM starting battery for the engine, and an Optima AGM deep cycle battery for the house. Haven't regretted either.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
rfsod48 wrote:
Of you that have AGM batteries do you use them as starting (chassis) batteries or only as coach batteries?

I have been using a 8D Lifeline as a chassis battery for 11 years now.

rfsod48
Explorer
Explorer
Of you that have AGM batteries do you use them as starting (chassis) batteries or only as coach batteries?
Roland,Linda and Matt Schwarz, LuLu, MoMo and Chewy
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 38N Catipillar C7
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4wd Drive II
Go Bucks!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote window sill without thinking. Floor sill alongside seat. I'm weary of spending 135 dollars fpr 65 amp hour group 34 batteries. I shot IR at that battery in Ajo Aridzona in July 2010. Air temp was 122F battery temp at the post (get this) was 158F. It has the original OEM polypropylene thermal shield. This is not the way to treat a battery and expect it to Live Long & Prosper.

Sixteen footsies of one AWG wire ain't gonna be a bargain. Terminals - lugs- posr - spiral wrap -box & lid. Oh yeah that's right I forgot the battery.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mex,

Love your posts but why only 1 bat when more will fit in the trunk? 4 bats and 4/0ga would qualify for a 4 star hotel.

But your going to start on the port side window and then cross to the passenger starboard side??? I didn't think that Mexican cars were like the UK cars???
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am toying with the idea of fitting a 31 in the toad trunk and passing a 1-AWG cable alongside the port side window sill through the passenger compartment and linking the OEM cables near the battery to be removed. A 1/2" stud terminal block. There is new spiral wrap wire sheathing out on the market that is cut and abrasion proof not merely resistant. Then I don't have to screw around with a second battery if I decide to spend the night reclined at a 24hr gasolinera. Slam the doors on mosquito netting, stick the Endless Breeze in a window, cinch up the power window and I have a free one-star hotel room.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I am running concorde Sun Xtender AGM's in my TH, as well as in solar projects at work. The oldest in service date is 2004? The RV batteries are 4-5 years old, the only maintenance (other then hosing them off once) was tightening the hold down straps, and plugging the inverter/charger in at the end of trips.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

gypsmjim
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Mind sharing the brand names of these batteries?

And the make and model of their charger?

If that was directed at me.....

The "bad" AGM that was replaced / defective after 1 year was an Odyssey. The ones that won't accept a smart charge and the one that died in 2 years were all Deka's.

A replacement Deka wet cell is now questionable after 3 years.

All the "good" wet cells were Die Hards, except for one from AutoZone that actually has been outstanding.

The charger is a West Marine auto smart charger, 15 amp, with settings for wet, gel and agm.
2015 Jayco Flight SLX 195RB
Permanently set up on a beautiful mountaintop retreat in Southwest NYS

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mex,

group 34 Deka Intimidator

155$

Not too far from border.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The nearest Sams to me is a 1400-mile round trip. Are the Dekas available on the Left Coast?

And if yes, are they available in various BCI group sizes?

And if yes would one of the sizes happen to be Group 34?

And if yes do I need a pistol in order to afford one?

Might as well say I believe in the Easter Bunny. The Gohner 34 in the toad is so lightweight it's a worry. Group 34 is HARD to find down here. Like 200 dollars in hotel bill worth when it fails. After a tow truck or begging a jump start. Rather get rid of the liability when I get ready.

kevden
Explorer
Explorer
Sams club has good prices on duracell (east penn/deka) agm's
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh

2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4X4 Quadrasteer

2010 VW Routan
2007 Chrysler Pacifica AWD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Mind sharing the brand names of these batteries?

And the make and model of their charger?