Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quiet series generator 9500 watts!!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi all,

Yes, it is Harbor Freight--but the price is about the same as Honda or Yamaha 2800 watt units!

https://www.harborfreight.com/9500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-with-co-secure-technology-570...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
38 REPLIES 38

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
10-30 times louder?
Someone needs to read up about the db scale. :B

He references the Honda which is listed 59 dB, since the power doubles for every 3 dB of gain, 62 dB is double the racket of the Honda, 65 dB is double the 62, 67 is almost double of the 65. That's **** close to 10 times louder. The difference between a quiet conversation and having a hoover exhaust stuck in your ear. Does anyone really give a ratsass?

No quite.
Twice the perceived loudness is a 10 db increase.

Maybe on Fantasy Island, but whatever you say.

Fantasy Island, along with the rest of the world. A 10 db increase is 10X the power, but we, as humans only perceive that as being 2X as loud. Do some reading up on the subject, it's quite fascinating & goes against a lot of common understanding of the subject.

But all that aside, 67 db is way too loud for a campground. Campers 10 sites away would complain, I'm sure.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a visual for the people that can't grasp the concept. :B

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Or 31.6 times louder, however you want to spin it. It appears that 67dB is also the minimum noise level for the Predator, which would imply it is louder under load.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^ That's funny, 31.6 times quieter.

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
10-30 times louder?

Seems that some folks do.

An increase of X db = 10^(X/10) increase in sound. Honda rates their generator at 52 - 57 dB.. At 52dB the Honda is 15 dB quieter, which is 10^(15/10) = 10^1.5 = 31.6 times quieter. At 57 dB, it would be 10^(10/10) = 10^1 = 10 times quieter. Now human hearing may not be linear, but that is how much noise the generator is producing. Any way you look at it, 10-15 dB is a huge difference in noise.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, Fantasy Island and also one other place. :B

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
It's also what reference material says.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
10-30 times louder?

He references the Honda which is listed 59 dB, since the power doubles for every 3 dB of gain, 62 dB is double the racket of the Honda, 65 dB is double the 62, 67 is almost double of the 65. That's **** close to 10 times louder. The difference between a quiet conversation and having a hoover exhaust stuck in your ear. Does anyone really give a ratsass?

No quite.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"An increase of 3dB doubles the sound intensity but a 10dB increase is required before a sound is perceived to be twice as loud."

It is confusing.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
10-30 times louder?

No quite.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
10-30 times louder?

Hazard Fraught advertises it as super quiet and it may be, when compared to a 737 at takeoff.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
10-30 times louder?

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

How would you know if a ranger is checking sound levels in response to a complaint? Sound level meters are readily available as smartphone apps.

I'd know because in 30+ years I've never seen nor heard about any NPS personel checking generators or anything else with a db meter. They might say "it's too loud" based on what they hear, but come on man, a dB meter? That's just forum drama. In that case if it ever did happen, it had better be a certified, calibrated meter, and not some phone app. What if someone is cited and shows up at the hearing to dispute the charge. More drama.

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Only 67 dB? Pretty good.

That is 10-30 times louder than the equivalent Honda offering. This is way too loud to use in a campground or within 1/4 mile of another camper.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
For sound level reference, the National Park Service requirement is 60 dB(A) or less at 50 feet for motorized equipment including generators.

I have yet to see a ranger at a NP or anywhere else going around with a decibel meter.

67 decibels would tend to piss off quite a lot of folks in a campground. The scale is not linear.

How would you know if a ranger is checking sound levels in response to a complaint? Sound level meters are readily available as smartphone apps. I have known rangers to warn people with noisy generators, although I don't think they needed a meter to tell they were too loud...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate