cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Enhanced" flooded starting batteries for stop start auto

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Many modern Autos intentionally keep the battery discharged to the point that when the driver lets off the gas, or hits the brakes, the battery can then accept higher amps when the voltage regulator commands 14.5+ volts. This acts as a poor regenerative braking MPG enhancer and a battery that basically is Never fully charged

This results in the continuous partial state of charge cycling of starter batteries, and short lifespans and not long after, whining customers demanding new batteries under warranty which then eats into profits.

Looks like the marketing departments saw something to peck at and perhaps there is some engineering following suit to keep the beancounters from screaming too loud.

Looks like the carbon additive to the plate paste in some modern deep cycle batteries is working its way into the Automotive starting battery world.

For those who do not want to click the below links:
Increased dynamic charge current acceptance over standard wet-flooded batteries (+170%), due to improved design including special Carbon additives and high charge acceptance envelope type separators
Increased cyclic durability over standard wet-flooded batteries (+100%)
Sealed tip/tilt double lid with integrated flame arrestor

Exide invented the first EFB battery in 2008, helping European car manufacturers to reduce fuel consumption and emissions for small to mid-sized cars. Our technology is now considered the most advanced in the industry. The latest-generation EFB battery offers significantly improved charge acceptance and cycle life, a result of key breakthroughs in lead alloys and unique carbon additives that came from our R&D efforts. Exideโ€™s Start-Stop EFB batteries enable Start-Stop, regenerative braking and other powerful fuel-saving features.

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/agm-efb-explained/#efb

http://www2.exide.com/gb/en/product-solutions/transportation/product/exide-start-stop-efb.aspx

If this leads to batteries that are more resistant to hardened capacity destroying sulfation from chronic undercharging, the bane of all lead acid batteries, well mo bettah for us intetionally deep cycling the lead acid beasts and have systems designed for charging this medium.

Argue away.......
50 REPLIES 50

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Just re-reading the comments in this thread ...

In a previous "life" I designed powertrain control systems. While I did not work directly on this portion of the "system" (software) a good friend did. He explained to me the EXTREME amount of engineering involved in order to fire the injectors and spark plugs in LESS THAN 1 REVOLUTION OF THE ENGINE once the starter was engaged. Trust me it is quite complex ! The computer is not fully "synced" with the engine until TWO FULL REVOLUTIONS when it knows, from camshaft data, exactly which cylinder is coming up on compression.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Have read some on the rotary valves. Must be something holding it back.

Political interference..
True story:
Many moons ago when a certain smooth talking willy was running for president,George Coates of CSRV co.contacted Detroit auto makers with his invention promising better mpg less oil use etc.

What hapened is,,mr runing4president sent a SWAT team to Coatesengine.co had them arrested and charged with fraud.

Of coarse Coates beat that rap easily as their CSRV works as promised.

Theres a public record of this either in NY or NJ somewhere..

All this info was removed from Coates site since then,dont ask me why.

I donโ€™t think thatโ€™s an entirely correct version of the story.

The story of Mr. Coates misadventures CLICKY.

What Mr. Coates has been up to lately CLICKY

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If it was patented if it was free or radioactive the Chinese would possess it.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Political interference..
True story:
Many moons ago when a certain smooth talking willy was running for president,George Coates of CSRV co.contacted Detroit auto makers with his invention promising better mpg less oil use etc.

What hapened is,,mr runing4president sent a SWAT team to Coatesengine.co had them arrested and charged with fraud.

Of coarse Coates beat that rap easily as their CSRV works as promised.

Theres a public record of this either in NY or NJ somewhere..

All this info was removed from Coates site since then,dont ask me why.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You are a 1% er therefore exempt from criticism. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have visited friend's of friend's who refused to walk to a 7-11 a block distant for a 6'er of imitation beer.

And then there are people who get caught having a Jane Mansfield inflatable misusing a car pool lane.

Too many times in Bayarrhea cities I find 1/100th Nah that's wrong, 1,500th the number of buses that we have down here and getting to a store 1 mile distant means two hours of waiting and a 1/2 mile of walking. It's absurd.

When I go north for medical, I do not drive the 90 miles. That would be stupid. A one way bus ticket costs ten dollars. And that's not the insult. There are three three dollar toll booths to pass by. Pablo is waiting for me at the Tijuana bus terminal, we cross, I pick up packages and 50 lbs of cheaper food, and he drives me home. He has family down here and is tickled to death when I fill his new 38 mpg Pontiac whateverthehellitis. Last trip he found a coveted eighty dollar coat for $29.95, he makes out like a bandit.

If I would ever wish to bang my eardrums together I would use a pair of three hundred dollar Sennheisen earphones and avoid having window glass jump their tracks. Down here depth charge grade booms and thumps allow a cop to issue a hundred dollar ticket.

To me it's quite one thing to move a house to recreate -- and another to have a small car chomp fuel for the sake of bragging rights. Few 12 ton 10-wheel RV's get 14 mpg climbing 7,000 ft in 150 miles, so I do not feel guilty about Quicksilver. Nor taking the toad on a 30 mile excursion to purchase 3 weeks worth of food.

But yeah, driving to an airport way the hell and gone outside of the city, paying thirty bucks to park then undergoing a two hour ordeal to board an aircraft to unrepeat everything on the other end, just beats the tar out of having high speed rail which takes 3 minutes longer. Talk about the clueless mass. You'd have to experience mass transit that is designed to work before arguing against it. In the states it won't work because 99% of the people insist on showing off their blingmobile at 1.75 miles per hour.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Chula Vista CA. 07 miles in a straight line. Urban urban downtown and urban homes with shopping centers all the way to my UPS Store.

Five hours and change EACH way to the San Diego Red Trolley.

If carefully planned...
You can't get there from here.

People still wouldn't take mass transit if the bus passed through their bedroom and wandered up and down the aisles they planned to shop at.

Gleam Blinging bumper-to-bumper is a right, not a privilege. And the luxury of turning up the thousand dollar spot weld snapper amplifier till nirvana id reached. Both eardrums slap together...

For those urbanites thereโ€™s few excuses, but they would likely be peeved at the sound of my donkeys scaring off the coyotes sniffing around after the rest of the animals or the sound of my airplane taking off.

The plane BTW gets the equivalent of only 13.45 MPG, the SUV gets 16.76 MPG, even while recharging both batteries and powering the 2 amplifiers (sub-woofer and upper freqโ€™s) while I try to achieve nirvana while de-icing my windows using the resonance of the dayโ€™s playlist or satellite radio.

All of that however beats the tar out of the 4 MPG my Dads Grand Cherokee got back in the 80โ€™s ........

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Rotary valve do not seal as well as poppet valves. Unburned fuel can leak out the exhaust and combustion gases can leak into the intake manifold.

Rotary engines (Wankel/Mazda) do not use rotary valve. They have a port that is covered and uncovered as the rotor turns. Again, the seal is not as good as a poppet valve.

Most modern engines use variable valve timing which is a BIG improvement over fixed valve timing !

time2roll wrote:
Latest I have read is on microwave/plasma ignition instead of the spark plug.

Plasma ignition and electric valve actuation have been the "holy grail" since I was in college and that was a LONG time ago !

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Chula Vista CA. 07 miles in a straight line. Urban urban downtown and urban homes with shopping centers all the way to my UPS Store.

Five hours and change EACH way to the San Diego Red Trolley.

If carefully planned...
You can't get there from here.

People still wouldn't take mass transit if the bus passed through their bedroom and wandered up and down the aisles they planned to shop at.

Gleam Blinging bumper-to-bumper is a right, not a privilege. And the luxury of turning up the thousand dollar spot weld snapper amplifier till nirvana id reached. Both eardrums slap together...

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Thank god I am on the way out. I can tolerate just so much "stupid". People would rather spend four hours commuting solo in a ton and a half vehicle than spend a third that time riding in a 1st class mass transit system.

While I was working, my longest commute was less than 45 minutes. Most of my career it was about 20 minute. Same for the wife.

Where I lived and worked, there was NO MASS TRANSIT that would get me from here to there that would not require several miles of walking.

Ditto here.

I have a 30 minute drive to my office if I leave home around 9am.

The closest place to access mass transit is about 4 miles down the road from here. The problem is though because of how far out of town we are the service is pretty sparse and so even though the trip is only 90 minutes (versus the 30 minutes drive) I would need to be on the bus at 6:45am instead of leaving home at 9am. Much the same at dayโ€™s end. Iโ€™d need to find something to do for an hour at the end of the day before the next bus left, then the 90 minute trip.

In the end my 9 hour day would turn into a 12.75 hour day, an extra 3.75 hours a day.

That equates to about the equivalent of 120 โ€˜work daysโ€™ of additional commute time per year.

Pass thanks......

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
MAZDA!

THE CAR THAT GOES, "HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM"

In theory Perfect combustion
In practice 18 mpg

In theory no rings ball bearings
In practice unrebuildable with chamber sealing problems

In theory crowds lining up to buy one
In practice you couldn't give a used Mazda rotary away

Careful about what sounds irresistible today
You might be forced to buy one tomorrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Latest I have read is on microwave/plasma ignition instead of the spark plug.
https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/13/microwave-ignition-ex-porsche-ceo/

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
While on the subject of improving FE heres a good read on the old adiabatic engine for anyone mechanicaly inclined

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1009-what-ever-happened-to-smokeys-hot-vapor-engine/

Normally, different parts of a standard nonhomogeneous air/fuel mixture burn at different rates within the same cylinder, creating turbulence and colliding flame fronts.
Under such โ€œnormalโ€ conditions, cooling the intake charge to create higher mixture density is beneficial to keep some of the fuel molecules from undergoing spontaneous combustion (aka detonation). But a standard Otto-cycle four-stroke internal-combustion engine utilizes only about 25 percent of its potential energy to make power.

The remaining 75 percent is lost out the exhaust or transferred as heat into the cooling system and radiator.

Hot-vapor technology attempts to recapture this heat energy, using it to superheat the incoming air/fuel mixture to more than 450 degrees F going into the cylinder, thereby achieving a homogeneous, perfectly vaporized condition thatโ€™s said to prevent detonation while ensuring complete combustion.

To completely vaporize the fuel, Smokey used heat from the water in the engineโ€™s cooling system plus exhaust heat to progressively warm the systemโ€™s induction flow to the required temperature. There was a heat exchanger under the carburetor that used hot engine coolant exiting the motor to warm the mixture to around 200 degrees.

The air/fuel charge then flowed through a second-stage generator, an exhaust-driven turbine wrapped with exhaust-gas ducting. Smokey called this device a homogenizer, but it really was a turbocharger underneath the fancy ducting.
Not only did the device generate boost, it also served as a one-way check valve to keep the expanded, hot mixture from back-flowing out the carburetor. From the turbine the mixture flowed through an intake manifold also wrapped by exhaust ducting to reach its final, super-hot induction temperature.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Just shows how the auto manufacturers are up against a wall to improve economy.

Only wall is the pride of not invented here therefore its nfg.

For example the US invented CSRV rotary valve head has been around very long time and not a single engine manufacturer jump on it,why?
Now Chinese bought and own the rights to it..

http://www.coatesengine.com/csrv-advantages.html

Or maybe Oil corps.control auto makers

The CSRV System is comprised of only two moving shafts and does not utilize oil pressure fed bearings, or oil spray; in fact, no engine oil is present in the head of the CSRV Engine. This means the engine oil does not see the hottest parts of the engine, which was the exhaust Poppet Valves. These extremely hot components usually are engine oil spray cooled.
This heat would breakdown the atomic structure of the engine oil, thus lowering the oil viscosity, therefore, oil changes are recommended every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.

On the other hand, with the CSRV incorporated in the engine design, oil change intervals are extended to approximately 50,000 miles or more.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I thought vehicles that had start-stop capability always used a battery other than their standard starting battery - no?

https://youtu.be/L7524u5w4ZE