cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rear axle hub flinging grease on rim and tire, need advice

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have a 2007 attitude fsakg33 fifth wheel, triple axle. i learned years ago about the little rubber cap that comes off the hub and there is a zerk. so i use quality synthetic grease and pump it till it starts oozing out of the bearing. been doing it for years but recently i noticed the grease on my back axle seemed to become very liquid and escape and gets flung all over the rim. i actually had one of the caps come off and that really made a mess. i fixed it though. but i have only noticed it on the back axle, but i also noticed this trip that my trailer brakes aren't working as effectively as they had in the past. see pics. any thoughts from folks?

since it is only the rear axle, on both sides it is odd. been treating all the axle's the same for years. my thought are that maybe the brakes are heating up more and liquifying the grease more so that it can escape the seals,,,,,but i am hoping someone here knows for sure. thanks! please see youtube video of the rims and tires here are two links to the same video https://youtu.be/lMn9JmVLbVE

kevin's rear axle rim with grease all over it
22 REPLIES 22

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nope, you've been informed incorrectly: the EZ Lube just has one hole on the heavier axles too, unless maybe the 8,000 lb. axles have two holes. But my 7,000 lb. EZ Lube have just the one hole, and yes it does take a lot of grease to fill up that void the first time.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
update on situation. just wanted everyone to know, although i have a lippert axle (has a sticker that says LIpper lc152) the hubs are obviously dexter. it is a 5200 lb axle. the ez lube system on these only has one hole that goes into the inner bearing, then the grease has to fill the entire void between inner and outer bearing before it goes thru outer bearing and i can see it oozing out, so this particular ez lube system requires a lot of grease gun squirts. my inner seal was not blown out, although it appears some grease, not a lot, has oozed thru, i think more because it got hot than being over greased via the zerk. i have been told that the heavier axles have a hole for both the inner and outer bearing and require less pumps. also, i do not have "auto adjusting" brakes so my reduce braking may also be a factor of me not having adjusted them (i thought the star wheel adjusted them when braking backwards) anywayjust putting this out there for what it is worth,,,,thanks again for all comments

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Time2roll has the right idea. Repacking brakes every year is a mostly a waste of time and money. And just adds to the chance that something will be done incorrectly or forgotten, leading to a failure down the road. Several people have posted of problems that occurred shortly after having the bearings repacked and brakes checked out.

I also have the EZ Lube axles on a triple axle trailer. I checked mine for the first time after 6 years and about 18,000 miles. All was fine. I simply am not going to spend the time and effort repacking 6 wheels every year. That's just a lot more work than I relish. And also unnecessary, IMO.

One can debate the actual time/miles, but I agree that your take is reasonable and very close to what I do. IMO yearly is a waste of time, grease and $$$.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
deleted

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ok, but not sure what those have to do with EZ Lube axles? I guess a good idea if you plan on backing a TT or 5er down a lot of boat ramps.
Pretty much the same purpose of keeping water out of the bearings during a boat launch into the water.

EZ-Lube is more selling gimmick to give the illusion of less maintenance on an RV trailer axle.
JMHO

Not really. With bearing buddy's you always have positive pressure in the hub from the spring and piston which is what keeps out water in theory. With EZ lube the only time you have positive pressure is when you're pumping on the gun. If you get water inside, it takes pumping grease through to purge water out.

Personally I have used the Dexter EZ lube on 4 different campers, 3 boat trailers, and so many tool and equipment trailers I have lost count. I have never blown a rear seal or contaminated any brakes. Now Lipperts system on their axles, called "Super Lube", appears to be a different animal. I suspect because they use cheap rear seals which are most likely single lip.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Ok, but not sure what those have to do with EZ Lube axles? I guess a good idea if you plan on backing a TT or 5er down a lot of boat ramps.
Pretty much the same purpose of keeping water out of the bearings during a boat launch into the water.

EZ-Lube is more selling gimmick to give the illusion of less maintenance on an RV trailer axle.
JMHO

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are probably to have to replace the rear set of brake shoes if grease got on them. Look into buying the whole backing plate with shoes and new hardware all installed on the backing plate may be the easier way to go, for just a little extra money.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Time2roll has the right idea. Repacking brakes every year is a mostly a waste of time and money. And just adds to the chance that something will be done incorrectly or forgotten, leading to a failure down the road. Several people have posted of problems that occurred shortly after having the bearings repacked and brakes checked out.

I also have the EZ Lube axles on a triple axle trailer. I checked mine for the first time after 6 years and about 18,000 miles. All was fine. I simply am not going to spend the time and effort repacking 6 wheels every year. That's just a lot more work than I relish. And also unnecessary, IMO.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Did you folks look at he video?

The referenced on slinging grease is shown on the outside of the wheel.

:h I don't know, there are a couple of outside caps on the hubs that I am not familiar with also.

Take a look.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
What spring loaded piston?
Probably Bearing Buddy

westend wrote:
I'll post here what Mexwanderer passed along as a superior grease for bearings.

It is: Lubrication Engineers Inc Almaguard 3752

When using Almaguard 3752, a guy can leave his grease gun at the house unless on a very long trip (30K mi +).

At $16 a tube a guy should be able to leave the grease gun at home.......forever. I'll stick with Lucas Red n Tacky or Valvolene Cerulean for $5 a tube.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'll post here what Mexwanderer passed along as a superior grease for bearings.

It is: Lubrication Engineers Inc Almaguard 3752

Although I haven't used it yet, my next bearing repack will have it. Maybe Mex will see this and post about it's use and his experiences with this product.

When using Almaguard 3752, a guy can leave his grease gun at the house unless on a very long trip (30K mi +). Compare the convenience of an axle zerk fitting vs pulling hubs to replace brake hardware. I don't see the savings and I also am unable to inspect without pulling hubs.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, Bearing Buddy. A VERY good idea, but they have to wear the BB Bra's that they sell. Just a flexible cap that goes over the spring/zerk area. What the Bra does, is keep dirt out of the spring area. If the spring can't move as designed, it either won't keep a little pressure on the grease so water can't get in. Or, it'll allow enough pumping pressure to pop the inner seal.

BB also sells "Spindo Seal Kits" that put a stainless steel sleeve on the seal surface. Requires a different seal, part of the Kit, but it keeps a rust pitted seal surface from damaging the seal itself.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Probably Bearing Buddy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
bobsallyh wrote:
OLD-Biscuit, just another EZ Lube horror story! Marketing, marketing.

Like lots of other things, the product isn't the issue as much as not knowing how to, or misusing the product.

When used properly the EZ lube system is fine, but like everything else, most believe 'more is better' is the way to go.

The spring is pretty feeble, just enough to keep grease in the bearings. If however you keep pumping on the grease gun you create a hydraulic force that overcomes the seals quite easily.

If you follow the instructions the spring-loaded piston can't possibly create enough force to do anything but keep the bearings greased.

EZ lube is a drilled axle with a zerk on the end that allows grease to be forced into the rear bearing, through the hub cavity, and then through the outer bearing. There is no spring or piston. All pressure is provided by the grease gun.